Ticks?
Anyone do a prevention treatment for ticks on their pack goats?  Frontline? Repellent bug spray? I like going hiking in the spring in eastern Washington, but there are a heck of a lot of ticks in the brush.  I usually wear long pants, sleeves & "eau de Deet" but I'm wondering if a bug repellent spray like Ultrashield will be enough for the goats?  So I was thinking about using Frontline too...
I used to use a flea/tick collar on Cuzco back when he was an "only goat". I worked very well and never got a tick on him when wearing the collar. Then I got other goats, including a lot of babies and the collars got lost too easily when they would play and fight so I switched to those repellent drops. There are several brands and I may have used Frontline. I haven't seen ticks on my goats while using collars or drops.
(03-27-2018, 11:07 AM)Nanno Wrote: I used to use a flea/tick collar on Cuzco back when he was an "only goat". I worked very well and never got a tick on him when wearing the collar. Then I got other goats, including a lot of babies and the collars got lost too easily when they would play and fight so I switched to those repellent drops. There are several brands and I may have used Frontline. I haven't seen ticks on my goats while using collars or drops.

That's great, thanks! I used the citronella collars last year to repel mosquitoes around their heads - they worked pretty well, but wore out way too quickly.  Totally different product than a flea/tick collar tho.

I saw Frontline carries the "Extra Large Dog" size of drops for 89-132 lbs, I guess I would use 2 of the treatments each for a couple of large goats over 200 lbs.
My local farm stores carry an Permetherin based bug spray that last for 1 month. At the farm stores is made for animals like horses and dogs. At REI and Exoffico clothing company it is made for bug repellent clothing and gear. It works great for the goats and lasts a long time if you don't wash it off.
(03-28-2018, 06:04 AM)IdahoNancy Wrote: My local farm stores carry an  Permetherin based bug spray that last for 1 month. At the farm stores is made for animals like horses and dogs. At REI and Exoffico clothing company it is made for bug repellent clothing and gear. It works great for the goats and lasts a long time if you don't wash it off.

Thanks! I actually do use Permethrin  on my hiking clothes, says it's good for 6 weeks but I also put Deet on top of it. I frequent lakes so lots of mosquitoes in early summer.

I tried Zonk-It on the goats last year (permethrin), it did OK but I think the Ultrashield EX was better overall for mosquitoes and flies, has also worked well for us when horsepacking into buggy areas.  For the goats I've also been carrying a roll-on with us to do their face/upper neck areas - have only had to do that once or twice.
Thinking back, I used the drops made for horses on my goats, not the stuff they make for dogs. I think it was this stuff:
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/equi-spot
Interesting, I was not aware of this product! Thanks.
Zonk It, is what I use on the goats, my dog and my hat. I apply it to a rag and put it on the face and ears.
The rag is a good idea.
I had a problem with Zonk It attracting a lot of dirt. Do you have that problem Nancy?