Two more new little Ben Lomond Packers...
Hey All,

Just thought I would share a bit more. This last week, I was lucky enough to add a couple more good looking future packers to my Ben Lomond Packing Herd. My wife wasn't quite so impressed when I brought home these young bottle babies unannounced though. Blush Her heart is starting to melt of course though.

These purebred LaManchas from the same herd as vigilguy's (Charlie) recent acquisition. All three are actually 1/2 brothers with the same sire but mine are of course disbudded. Let me tell you...for a 1 year old, this buckling (sire) was HUGE! I would love to have him but & add him to my herd. I didn't get a chance to measure how tall or find out his exact weight on him but he was amazingly big & obviously still growing. While I actually do have his bloodlines somewhere & apparently they are amazing. Of course that isn't the most critical thing to me as much as build/conformation, size & temperament...lets just say that I'm very pleased. Interestingly, he is the blackest black & whitest white goat I have ever seen. His hair was also really silky & soft; one of my kids have the same kind of coat with the same coloring. Here is some pics of the sire with his two funky scurs:

[Image: IMAG0932.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0931.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0930.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0929.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0933.jpg]

More momentarily...

More...

While these two were a good deal they weren't free like Charlie's. Wink Like his little boy my two little boys are solid, have great legs, stance, gait as well as very pleasant demeanors. They have been bottle raise since day one and love people.

Here is Kody who I believe was a triplet born on March 4th.

[Image: 152452-1394920380-471161.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0963.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0962.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0961.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0945.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0944.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0943.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0953.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0952.jpg]

This little guy who still isn't names yet has the jet black silky coat of his father but just ended up with one white leg. He was born on March 22nd and was single over 12 lbs. Here he is as a nearly newborn.

[Image: 152452-1395698258-937227.jpg]

These are some from my phone from this week...

[Image: IMAG0958.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0957.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0950.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0949.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0947.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0946.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0960.jpg]

Here be are some together.

[Image: IMAG0954.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0955.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0956.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0959.jpg]

Sorry so long, I hope you enjoyed them...I know my kids & me are really enjoying them. Thx for the heads up Charlie...however, I'm not completely out of the "Goat-House" with my wife yet. Blush ...and neither are you. Undecided Wink

Cheers,

TOU
Beautiful boys! I told Vigilguy the other day that you're collecting goats like it's the end times! Big Grin
(05-02-2014, 10:39 PM)Nanno Wrote: Beautiful boys! I told Vigilguy the other day that you're collecting goats like it's the end times! Big Grin

LOL Big Grin Thx...Vigilguy has been a terrible enabler/mentor to be sure. Rolleyes

Um...er...yeah, my wife said something like that too.

Actually after doing much research & talking with several notable & experienced packers, I had a specific plan from the beginning. Before I bought any last year, my plan was always to:
  1. have a herd of 6-8 solid goats...all being +40 lb packers. (Keep in mind I have 5 children & only one is married. I am also very involved with the Boy Scouts with my youngest 3.)
  2. I wanted my herd to be very diverse in make up as I don't think you want all leaders or all followers. I.E. Not all Alpines, all Boers or even Obers or Saanens.
  3. They had to be a non-horned herd
  4. I also wanted them all to be hand raised bottle babies by me.
  5. ...but I also wanted to start packing this summer with my boys as my oldest one graduates next year & couldn't wait for 4 years
That all said I bought 4 five year olds that were experienced (Alpine/Saanen)
& 4 three year olds. (1 LaMancha, 3 Boer/Alpine) All are pretty great and very bonded to me. I still think hand raised babies by you are likely more tighter bonded to you.

Additionally, I believe you plan, buy & raise your next replacement herd before you ever need them & have your existing herd help train the next generation. So I am just doing that now & the 5 guys I have will all be the same age & VERY bonded to me and each other. Interestingly, truth be told I actually also have had a standing order since last October for two more specific goats from a certain breeder. If they come through this year (late breeding schedule) I will take them as well. BUT...I will be done acquiring for another 4 years & will just hiking my BIG boys & raising up my little ones from here on out.

That's the plan anyway... Confused Wink

Thx again,

TOU

P.S. Next year I will likely start raising a couple of calves. Tongue
Watch out pack goat world! The Lamancha has comith! Smile Ah such great looking boys Tou Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Craft Project #33

"Prosthetic Goat Ears"

Supplies needed:
#1 One sheet of felt, preferably of a color similar to the goat
#2 Scissors
#3 One strip heat-molding plastic
#4 Pan of boiling water
#5 Glue

Heat the plastic strip in the hot water. Once it is flexible, lay it on the goat's head from ear to ear.
Once it has cooled enough to hold its shape, bend it in a little to give it some grip once it hardens.
Next cut out some ear shapes from the felt. Be generous.
Glue the ears to each side of the plastic strip. Allow to dry.
Place plastic head band and ears upon the goats head, using a few drops of glue to make it more or less permanent.
Watch your goat rejoice and feel normal and accepted.
HAHAHA!!! Love it!! Especially the "be generous" tip. Any goat hanging around my Nubian crosses with their proud airplane ears might be ashamed without a good deal of compensation. It's important for a goat to look like it's trying to fly while on the trail. Gives them a proud, heavenly look.
Nice boys, Tou! I think you should name the one with a single white leg "Pegleg!" Big Grin
Goatberries Happen!
It's just a small problem really. It's very very addicting and extremely contagious. It's called Pack Goat Fever. Oh well we could be doing worser things.

"Long Live The Pack Goat"
Curtis
Awesome, they have great markings and look like they will be great packers!