Lost a bottle baby tonight
I just lost a 6 week old bottle buckling to enterotoxemia. He was a nice busy little guy and was gone within 2 hours. Hard to believe how fast they go down. He passed within 5 miles of the vets office. Just couldn't get him there fast enough. Makes you feel kind of ratty.
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]
Gosh, so sorry you lost him.
Ah, that sucks! Am sorry to hear it and totally know how you feel. Even when the ones that you dont expect to make it, dont, it still feels ratty.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
So sorry to hear that.
Thanks everyone. He had been sick a couple days before and my vet said the immune system was already compromised so he had nothing to fight with. I still think if I had just got out there 15 minutes sooner the outcome might have been different. 20/20 hindsight, it's a bitch.
[i]
n
[/i]
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sad
But now I know a little about this problem and I am going to be on-the-ball about it from now on! We can learn from this tragic event. Entrotoxemia. I'll feel like those expensive spring shots are worth it now. Of course there was nothing much you could do about it, Deschutes. Bottle baby got it before the scheduled vaccinations... And its such a fast acting problem that there's no path of action that ends well. I doubt getting out there 20 minutes earlier would have made a huge difference-- When I read about the treatments they seem rather weak-sauce to me. Plant an interesting tree in memory of him.
I'll be planting some raspberries in memory of the little guy. At least that way he can be giving back when the does get their raspberry leaves to help with next year's little ones. He actually belonged to my husband's oldest son, a lazy, blankety blank blank, leech who has been mooching off us for 3 years. I've been taking care of his goats to make sure they got some contact, love and care. He's been gone so when he returns tonight I will get "scolded" (probably cussed out) at the least for not taking care of his animals. Is there a legal way to give someone enterotoxemia?? I'm sick of how he treats his poor animals.

Sorry everyone, I guess I needed to vent. I'll try not to do it again. I'm just sad but it will pass.
[i]
n
[/i]
Sometimes venting is healthy. I should hope your stepson doesn't blame you for this tragedy! It's not like he was there to take care of the little guy. You did your best, but sometimes the best isn't enough and it's no one's fault. I'm sorry you're having to deal with family baggage in addition to the loss of a kid.
I agree with you, Nanno. It's all a sad situation.

(03-16-2014, 10:05 PM)Nanno Wrote: Sometimes venting is healthy. I should hope your stepson doesn't blame you for this tragedy! It's not like he was there to take care of the little guy. You did your best, but sometimes the best isn't enough and it's no one's fault. I'm sorry you're having to deal with family baggage in addition to the loss of a kid.
Goatberries Happen!