Neutered tomorrow
Smile Great to hear! I know with the crush method it takes about the same time and then a full week before the stop walking stiff legged. Legion didnt handle it so well and it took him 2 solid weeks to get back to somewhat normal. That is why he has the lines on his horns. He didnt wanna eat very much and it really did a number on his horns.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
It's interesting how stress can show in the horn growth, just as it shows in the hooves of horses. Cuzco has a major line with a jagged, almost hooked edge where it looks like his horn cracked. It grew out after he fell off the cliff and lost his left horn, but I know that the right horn wasn't damaged at the time. Phil thought we must have overlooked the injury in our fuss over the horn amputation, but I told him I thought it was a stress line. If he'd cracked the right horn I know he would have been very head shy because I was using it as a handle to hold his head still and as an anchor for the bandage, and there's no way he would have tolerated that if the horn had been cracked below the hairline.
That's awesome to hear! You are a good goat mama and if I was a goat I'd want you for my caregiver. Smile

(03-05-2014, 08:44 PM)Nanno Wrote: I'm happy to report that Pac-Man is a completely different goat than the pitiful creature shivering in the goat hut last night. When Phil and I went out to do a final check this evening he came out of his house and stood eagerly at the gate wagging his tail and begging for cookies, which of course we doled out liberally. He'd eaten about half his hay and seemed in very good spirits apart from being kind of lonely. He squirmed and tried to run away when I put his coat on. I'm sure he doesn't need it tonight, but I'm a fussy goat mother and wouldn't let him go to bed without one. Phil made fun of me. The poor goat baa-aa-ed pathetically when we finally turned out the lights and said goodnight. But it only took him a minute or so to settle down and go back to bed. I thought I might have to keep him separated for several more nights, but it looks like he should be back in the big goat pen tomorrow.
Goatberries Happen!
Pac-Man is back to chasing skirts, so everything must be fine. Smile
That was a quick recovery. So glad he is back to his old self again. Look out girls, here comes Pac-Man!

(03-06-2014, 11:53 PM)Nanno Wrote: Pac-Man is back to chasing skirts, so everything must be fine. Smile
Goatberries Happen!
It will take a few weeks for him to stop smelling like a buck. Took longer than I expected.
All I want for Christmas is a new hip.
My two alpine boys were wethered in late November at 3 years old. It took two feet of snow and a week of rain after that to clean them off and on warm days even now they still have a faint buck odor. The first 70 degree day they both get a bath!
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]
Thankfully, Pac-Man is out of the rut and hasn't been stinky for well over a month now, so I think he'll clean up nicely. Once the girls got bred and rejected him he quit peeing on himself. We've been able to hug and pet him a lot more in the last month. He was never all that bad to begin with, being such a young buckling. It seems once he quit breeding he put the energy into growing and he shot up like a weed. He was 60-70 lbs. when we got him (I know because I could still lift him into the back of our truck). About three weeks ago the weight tape said he was 95 lbs. to the younger girls' 105 lbs. and he's quite obviously bigger than them now. He's still not quite as big as Lilly, but he's getting close and I'm pretty sure he'll pass her up by the end of the month.

Pac-Man is trotting and jumping around already. I'm thrilled he had such a quick recovery! The vet left the sack in place and just removed their contents, so he'll always carry around a little "coin purse" as Dave calls it. I thought it was interesting Dr. Matt did it that way. I wonder if it is less traumatic.