lump at vaccination site
Hello,
2 of my 3 boys developed lumps just smaller than a ping pong ball where I gave them their annuals. The 3rd one just lost a little hair.
My vet didn't seem to be too concerned and said they would probably go away or I could aspirate them myself. The lumps seem to have taken about 3 weeks to be noticeable and have not gotten bigger. The boys are all in good spirit and are not sick in any way. Any thoughts?
Threw up some pics of my boys, Schmidt, Winston and Coach. 15 months old and growing like the weeds they eat. Especially Coach, he is a brute and like his brothers is in great mountain shape.

Sorry, didn't see my other post went up. My phone was malfunctioning
Those are handsome goats. I like them enough that if I could, I'd enslave them to carry heavy loads for me on long treks in the mountains!
(05-06-2016, 01:43 PM)dutch007 Wrote: Hello,
2 of my 3 boys developed lumps just smaller than a ping pong ball where I gave them their annuals. The 3rd one just lost a little hair.
My vet didn't seem to be too concerned and said they would probably go away or I could aspirate them myself. The lumps seem to have taken about 3 weeks to be noticeable and have not gotten bigger. The boys are all in good spirit and are not sick in any way. Any thoughts?
Threw up some pics of my boys, Schmidt, Winston and Coach. 15 months old and growing like the weeds they eat. Especially Coach, he is a brute and like his brothers is in great mountain shape.

That happened to my three boys last fall after I gave them tetanus shots. It scared me as well but my vet wasn't concerned and after a few weeks the bumps went away and haven't come back. The bumps were about the size you described and had no hair on them.   When we lanced and drained them they were filled with pus like a giant zit.
Hello and welcome HunterImagery! Sorry it took me so long to approve your post. Been on the road since yesterday. Wink
Nice looking goats! It's common to have vaccination site abscesses. You can drain them or wait for them to burst. Either way, it's best to put some pink spray or other antiseptic on the wound in summer to keep the flies away. I flush my goats' abscesses with about 100ml sterile saline and then some Sea Minerals spray which expedites healing, followed by Cetrigen spray. I have found no difference in healing time when I proactively lance them before they're ready to burst versus just waiting for them to burst and then doing the flushing/clean up. Vicks Vapour Rub can speed up the 'ripening'.
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Hello All
RE: Lumps from from injection sites.
In a long time of sticking needles in horses, Vaccinations, Antibiotics ,Tranquilizers, etc.
My experience is Zero with the above problems. I always prep the site of injection,
( alcohol swab patch or even right out of a bottle onto skin of animal. Best way is to "Flood" the injection site"
The only time I had a problem with SUB Q reactions was when a VET used a vaccine Sub Q that the bottle said to use IM.
In horses, They got Dinner plate size swelling on their necks at the injection site. Sore too.
I boosted all the boy's here with CDT Sub Q as recommended for goats but cleaned the sites well before injections.
No problems.
The neighbor were Fuzzy and no name came from (We still need a name for him) Has 2 with abscesses from getting their boosters. I have seen her method, and she dose not do any site prep, and uses the same needle for more than one goat. Oh well I can't make anybody do things what I consider Right.
HappyTrails
hihobaron
Some goats are very sensitive to the adjuvant in the vaccine and unfortunately it doesn't matter how much you disinfect the site (which I always do) prior to vaccinating, those goats will still get the reaction. I never use the same needle twice and I swab the site prior. My ferals generally get the reaction but my dairy goats do not. We did a controlled experiment with the vet - the vet vaccinated the herd a couple of times because I thought I was doing something wrong - not so. Regardless of who did the vaccinating, the same goats got the same reaction. Interestingly the ones that get the worst reactions are the ones that did not receive any colostrum when they were born.
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Got home from being gone for 4 days and the lump in question had aspirated itself and was scabbed over