REI
I spoke with the local REI Outreach Coordinator today. She and the store manager are both excited about a goatpacking clinic! In January they will be deciding when the different clinics will be held. She wants to combine the goatpacking clinic with their Alternative Hiking event. I mentioned March to her and she thought March or maybe April would be great.

She was concerned they didn't carry goatacking gear. I told her REI carries everything for the goatpacker plus they carry dog packs that can be used on young goats who can't pack weight and other dog items that can be used for goats, books on hiking that goatpackers can use, etc. I also told her how e do trail work and that the next outing for the Columbia Basin Packgoat Club was a hike at a local preserve to do cleanup.

She said all of this fit perfectly with REI's goals.

If anyone at the clinic wants to get into goatpacking March or April are great times to buy kids, too!

I suggest anyone with an REI store within driving distance from them check to see if you can give a goatpacking clinic, too!
Goatberries Happen!
(11-13-2015, 07:37 PM)Taffy Wrote: I spoke with the local REI Outreach Coordinator today.  She and the store manager are both excited about a goatpacking clinic!  In January they will be deciding when the different clinics will be held.  She wants to combine the goatpacking clinic with their Alternative Hiking event.  I mentioned March to her and she thought March or maybe April would be great.

She was concerned they didn't carry goatacking gear.  I told her REI carries everything for the goatpacker plus they carry dog packs that can be used on young goats who can't pack weight and other dog items that can be used for goats, books on hiking that goatpackers can use, etc.  I also told her how e do trail work and that the next outing for the Columbia Basin Packgoat Club was a hike at a local preserve to do cleanup.

She said all of this fit perfectly with REI's goals.

If anyone at the clinic wants to get into goatpacking March or April are great times to buy kids, too!

I suggest anyone with an REI store within driving distance from them check to see if you can give a goatpacking clinic, too!
Hello Taffy
Good idea REI:
I think I have one here in Greenville SC.
I'll use the same tactics you are using :Smile Even if I don't have any "Real" pack goats YET. One Old enough to do some work and his side kick would be good for dog pack/ light load example.
I already have Store permission to bring the boys into Tractor Supply Store here for "Walk About."
Ill float a stick that way and see what happens. (REI)
Good Idea
Happy Trails
hihobaron
Our local REI contacted me about giving a packgoat class on June 1st! WooHoo! What a great opportunity! I'd spoken with them back in November.

Does anyone have a PowerPoint presentation on goatpacking? If not, I'll create one. It's be nice to not have to "re-invent the wheel."

This is excellent timing for this presentation with the NAPgA Rendezvous being held a few weeks later and only 2 hours from here.

Check with your local REI stores. Maybe you can arrange to give a class, too!
Goatberries Happen!
Hello Taffy
Congratulations.
Very good Tactics telling REI that there are "crossover items" they already Carry for dogs that will work with goats.
Happy Trails
hihobaron and the boy's in SC