Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 07-17-2016

Great pictures Taffy
What I would like to be on board to see would be the reactions of crew members seeing goats on the bank. Smile

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 07-18-2016

Today I tattooed ears (a rather unpleasant task) and posted Crockett and Boone for sale on Goat-O-Rama and Craigslist. I hope they find some good homes! I'm advertising these two as potential breeding bucks as well. They're not quite as nice conformation as I'd like for breeding bucks, but others may disagree so I'm leaving the option open until the end of July when I'm going to have to wether them or risk not having them fit in the bander.

Here is my Goat-O-Rama ad page: http://www.goatorama.com/?page_id=1513

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 07-18-2016

Hello All
Fed Critters, came back in , napped , Talked with Local LEO. PR department.
PR officer about a Officer Base Ball Card Leo's can give out when they go to PR events or on duty.
All of my Mounted Unit People have done it to promote a Officer Friendly at Meet and Greet operations.
It works, People especially kids get to come up talk to a LEO and pet his horse. Not normally allowed when on duty.
Proves not all LEO's are bad and to be afraid of.
I volunteered Pete and Sam as Leo Representatives, told him how they handle  people and would be a good draw in for people to talk and get to know local LEO's as people.
With all the Slanted Media LEO's are getting for doing their job , they have to push back in a good way.
I am trying to help do that. Can not use my RET. Police horse's but the Goat Boys are perfect for a urban /school environment.  It is a long way from a done deal.
Of course the boy's would be "Honorary Reserve Officers" if the deal works out. Smile
Have to "Official" have sheets in LEO colors,.
Yes, I am Crazy. But so are goats.
I don't know who rubes off on who.
hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete ,Sam and the Troop in SC.

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 07-20-2016

Hello All
Don't know were to post this. Truck Chasing Goats or here.
Nanno If you want to move it go ahead.
=============================
Moving on:
This is not a what did you do today thing but is a what did you do last night thing.
As I have posted before the Boys have done good on the High tie line.
Well they got their first overnight outside on the high line.
Think when you were a kid and put up a tent in the back yard to camp out for the first time. Smile
Basically 50 feet from the Goat Shed/ 25 feet from my window.
I would hear if there was a problem.
Everybody was still there and not tangled up at daylight this morning. I count that as a win.
Needless to say I slept light with both a good light and a pistol close to hand. Kept the radio on so the Goat Boys knew I was close by. They always like to come in and chew the cud when I either have a Audio Book on or Prepper radio station on.
Yes, I have Republican Goats  
.jpg   Trump Goats 4.JPG (Size: 64.7 KB / Downloads: 85)
hihobaron,Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete,Sam and the Troops in SC.

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 07-21-2016

Hello all
Espicially Taffy
I have been on water ways were there were Tow Boats and Barge Trafic.
Yes, it is amassing what they push around.
Ok History: Now for the history lesson. Smile
==============
Here in the EAST Many of the Channels used mules or draft horses to tow the channel  boats from a tow path along the side of the channel during the day, tie up at night let the critters graze on shore,if in a "risky" area bring them on board for protection. Crew would also camp on shore.
===================
Most all had a nanny goat and a couple wethers on board for milk and meat.
The Nanny was considered almost as valuable as the tow mules/horses. For milk Products.
In many cases the goats were put out on the tow path during the day to feed as the tow boat went along.
Happy Trails
hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete,Sam, and the Troops in SC

RE: What did you do today? - Taffy - 07-21-2016

That's interesting Hihobaron! Thanks for sharing!

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 07-22-2016

Taffy
Thanks
History is one of my pet subjects , especially if animals/firearms are included.
I have one more paper to write that is how close I am to a PHD.
Most of my work is animal/firearm's related, I am thinking my final paper is going to be about goats. Smile
We all have to learn from history.
hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy, Pete, Sam and the Troops in SC

RE: What did you do today? - Taffy - 07-23-2016

My poor goats.  Yesterday I was so busy I didn't get them out for a hike.  So last night to try to make up for it I let them graze in a different paddock.  It's sad to see goats having to eat such poor quality feed.  NOT!  I have 5 different paddocks for my goats that total about 1/2 acre and rotate them as needed.

The paddock in this picture was created because we needed to protect septic lines so no one drove equipment over them.  In a sense it's self watering but I also water it as needed.  It's a mix of alfalfa, Bermuda grass and weeds.  The photo is 2 1/2 weeks growth.  I'm careful how much I let the boys graze in this paddock because of the alfalfa.

It's funny to watch them pick and choose what they want to eat.  Bourbon loves the alfalfa and Bermuda grass.  Morgan heads straight for the weed patch.  The rest of the goats are running hither and yon grabbing a little of everything.

Hopefully getting some time to graze in this paddock let me off the hook for not hiking.  They all followed me back into the main paddock for the night so I guess they didn't old a grudge.

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 07-30-2016

Hello All
Been Thinking (Always a Bad Idea for me)
All of my boy's know and were bottle babies, ?TGFSF
I fed Blizzard and Fuzzy myself with a special mix from a goat milking farm.
Pete and Sam came from her. see Stow away goats thread. Smile
======================
I tried something the other day,hot nasty weather and the big boys were panting bad when we got back to camp.
My nursing bottle nipples were siting on the shelf above the sink,
Hmmm. I thought maybe see if a goat as old as Pete (5)years old would still still take a nipple bottle for water only. ???
Well, after a little dribble on his nose he latched onto the bottle nipple and sucked it down fast.
============================
Something to think about when walkabout.
Carry a water bottle with a nipple on it for giving your goats a drink when on the trails for the goats .
You can fill the bottle from a stream/lake rather than have to make a goat go to a strange water source also you can add electrolytes to the water and make sure the goat drinks them.
Just some Trail thoughts.
hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete, Sam and the Troops in SC

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 07-31-2016

I've seen people at goat shows give water and electrolytes to their dairy does in bottles on a hot day. Most never forget. That's one drawback to having dam-raised goats. They look at a bottle of water and go, "Exactly WHAT do you want me to do with that??"