Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 07-04-2016

No pics. The coordinator I am sure is pressed very thin. Its hard enough getting a 100 goats from a couple of farms just to California set up. I cant imagine what its like to be doing shipment after shipment across the States. I try not to bother him as much as possible Smile

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 07-05-2016

Hello Dave
You gave me enough info on the farm, that I was able to go into the local government data base and follow the paper trail so to speak in public records. Permits, ETC. From there the trail gave me info on the owners and their back ground. They are very viable operators. I did not have anything better to do last night.  
I will not bother them for the same reasons you mentioned.
You just made my Curiosity Bump Itch,( Usually not a good thing) because then I have to know.  Smile
The internet is both a curse and a blessing.
Happy Trails
There are some good trails and fishing up that way too.
hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete,Sam and the Troops in SC.

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 07-07-2016

Hello All
I am in pain today, hip pain.
Don't know why.
Have not had any falls or problems with left hip before.
Even though left leg is part titanium from a accident (kind of a explosive incident overseas) has hardware in it.
I do not use pain killers, but have had to today. But they are only working for about 4 hours.
I can stand on it, it is weight bearing, but very sore.
Can't blaim it on the goats or horses.
That is what is driving me buggy. Smile
If I do something or get hurt doing something fine. I know why.
When hurting this way and don't know why it bothers me.
I have worked horses with broken ribs(Mine) broken toes, bullet holes, but I knew WHY this I don't like.
I learned to deal with body pain years ago, You have to when working with horses.
Try on: getting kicked in the knee when riding bare back by a mare in heat because the (Gelding) I was riding would not pay attention to her. Need less to say by the time I got back to barn my knee had swelled enough the jean leg had to be cut to get off.t I got off my horse, turned him back to herd, got to my truck and drove home. Manual Transmission truck. Plus I had a job that required me to be on my feet for 8 hours a day.
So when I get to a pain point I can not work over,that is very high Yes I use drugs that I know work.
Maybe Goats will be a little softer on my old body.
I would love to be able to trail with one of my old horses and a string of Pack goats. Smile
Anybody done that?
WE have both now.
Happy Trails
hihobaron, Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete,Sam and the Troops in SC

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 07-09-2016

Dave, I finally caught up with this thread. How cool that your goats will be a part of the foundation herd for this big dairy! I hope they are successful.

Hihobaron, Cuzco used to come with me when I rode horseback all the time. No matter how far or how fast we went, he kept up with us. Trailing horses kept him in excellent shape in his younger years and I think that fitness prepared him for better-than-average soundness through his twilight years. However, I never put a pack on him when he came with horses. He rarely had trouble keeping up the pace, but I think with a pack it would have been too much for him and he would have become quite discouraged and the horse would have been frustrated to have to keep waiting for him to catch up. He would have needed a lot of breaks. I say let the horse carry your gear and just bring the goats along so they can get a good workout. It will put them in excellent shape to carry a good big load as fast and as far as you like when you're on foot.

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 07-09-2016

Hello Nanno
In my younger years I had a Barn pet Nubian wether (Oliy Twisted Ear) Breeder was going to meat him out.
He ran with the horses and went with us on "Neighborhood" Trail rides. No Packs
Heck This was so far back Pack Goats were not even thought of.
Oliy's job was to keep barn horses that were stalled for one reason or another happy. He did good.
Was friendly to people ran with the Dobermans I had at the time and did think he was a Dobby.
Strange that the goats I have here and now were willing to keep a County Sheriff in his car till I called them off and of course gave them a couple crackers. Smile
The LEO was impressed. Attack Goats !!!  Smile
When it cools down some here I will take Pete and Sam for a walkabout with the horses.
I know the goat  boy's can trot well when chasing the truckSmile
With my Old horses Polar and Trader in their teens both Arabs that are good for another 15 years and RET Mounted unit horses I Bred,foaled and trained/used.
Have trailed them by themselves ,(Well in pair) and there are not many places here to horse camp at.
Main Reason: I am going to goats. I can go to more places.
Will always have horses, but the goats have more places I can go here.
The More I WORK with goats the more I like them.
Happy Tails
hihobron  Blizzard ,Fuzzy,Pete,Sam and the Troops in SC.

RE: What did you do today? - Taffy - 07-11-2016

This evening I took the goats for a walk along the tree row.  The tree leaves didn't stand a chance!  Elm, mulberry, locust, cottonwood, wild oats and prickly lettuce all succumbed to the munch mouths!  They were very rotund by the time they were put back in their pen tonight.  There are 6 goats in this photo.  Joules is hiding under the tree canopy in front of the rest of the goats happily munching away.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 07-11-2016

They look so happy! Big Grin

RE: What did you do today? - Taffy - 07-16-2016

This evening I took the goats for a walk to the river.  A couple of our hay fields are right next to the Columbia.  It’s always strange to see a tug boat sticking up above the fields.

I don’t know what Joules saw out on the river but she was extremely interested in watching it.

I was sitting on a log that had washed in and had a fantastic view of the river and the tug moving the barge.  There’s a barge slip out in the river by where I was sitting.  The tug hooked up to the barge then headed down river.  They sure have a lot of engine power!

The goats enjoyed eating the trees and brush on the bank above the river while I relaxed and enjoyed the view.  By the time they were done browsing along the river bank and on the trail back home they had rotund bellies.  I'll bet they have a lot of cud to chew tonight!

RE: What did you do today? - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 07-17-2016

Awesome pictures Taffy! You ever get geese munching on your fields being so close to the water?

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 07-17-2016

Love the photos, Taffy! I wonder what had Joules so fascinated?