Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - Charlie Horse - 04-29-2016

He's going to have awesome horns by the time he's 18 months. Do the snip-snip at 5 months or so for best results.

You do have some good color going. You'll be able to spot him at night. My Woodstock is the most cammo goat ever and is often totally invisible due to his sandy orange coat.

Notice Bacchus' horns at about 4 months:

[Image: rendy_13_bacchus_01.jpg]

And here at 3 years:

[Image: 110_window_baby_01.jpg]

Alpines and Saanans both have naturally nice horns. He's going to be the boss of the group in the end.

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 04-30-2016

Hello CH
Thanks for the advice.
I did not want a horned goat BUT Beggar's can't be choosers. He was Free ,I'll have to invest in tennis balls now.
He is going to be a good boy and in a way like my Freizian filly.
Has learned from my RET Police horses (Her UNCLES) I am HOPEING he will take after Pete and Sam in manner.
Yes, with horns as he grows he probably will take over as HEAD of the herd. Even before I can start packing him.
=====================
Moving On:
Snip Snip?
I have seen there is some controversy between Banding and Cutting.  
I have done horses for the most part and we cut them. Had a couple steers that we banded
Sam was cut at Prepper Camp last September as part of a goat presentation he still has a small sack but no jewels.
Sam was about a year old I think then. No complications.
People Fuzzy came from advocate banding and have the equipment.
What do you think is the best way to go. I wish they would have dis-budded him but they are milk goat people and with all their nanny's having bucklings this year I think they just had to cut some cost. They have the VET do it
The other 7 bucklings will probably just go to auction. Any one of them would make good Pack Goats.
I think $75 each is what they would like to get. They come from a very clean herd situation and have their first CDT shot.

RE: Cammo Goat
I have to look for Sam (Black and White) to find Pete in the woods all the time, talk about cammo Pete blends in so well here Maybe Fuzzy will help that problem Smile He is eating brush and leaves already.(Fuzzy)

Find Pete in this picture

Happy Trails
hihobaron Fuzzy,Pete and Sam

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 04-30-2016

Oh, I'm glad he's got milk. I misunderstood when you said he'd been weaned.

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 04-30-2016

Hello Nanno
Sorry about that misunderstanding on milk. Fuzzy has been Dam feed till Friday. From March 6.
I have "Some" goat milk for him that has been frozen, but I don't like the look of it 6-15-15 is the date on it.
He is big enough and has a good apatite for the same brush  that Pete and Sam like. Smile
He likes the Alpha pellets and pelleted goat feed I am using.
Our friend in KY sent her "Recipe" for for goat milk substitute ( She is were Pete and Sam Came from.)
We mixed some up and Fuzzy decided it was not bad stuff, first bottle feeding that I know of for him.
I will use it as a supplement for a while.
He Got his Farm Collar today Reflective Blaze  Orange and Silver. Biothan He did get a "hand-me down" from Sam I will get his SS name tag printed up ASAP.
That way he dose not have to feel he dose not have any "BLINK" like Pete and Sam Have. Smile
Keep them happy and they stay home and work for you. Charlie Horse told me later in life Fuzzy is going to have horns worth bragging about. His are already about 3 inches tall. Nothing I can do about now.
I'll just have to train him "Right" to be in public. Smile
Happy Trails

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 05-01-2016

Happy May Day, everyone! I hope you're enjoying the nice spring weather as much as we are! 

RE: What did you do today? - Saltlick - 05-01-2016

Burrr!!! We had snow two nights ago. It's just on the mountain tops now. Well, now I've gone and done it. Not sure what I was thinking, but he was "nearby" (in rural Nevada terms) and from a closed herd so I couldn't resist. Problem is he hasn't been handled and is terrified of people. He'll take a lot of handling to calm down. Sorry Dave, I really wanted one of yours but it was just too difficult for me to coordinate getting up there (and there's always next year, right?!).  This goat was supposed to be "friendly" and his father "big", but when I got there I wasn't impressed. Father was average, mother not so big, and kid never handled. But it was just too hard for me to say no! Well, we'll see what happens with him I guess. No I have to think of a name for him. Any advice on "taming" him? Should I put him in the kitchen for a night and sleep on the floor with him? Or force-hold him and feed him treats? (He tries to jump out of your arms like a wild animal). I don't expect him to become a lap-goat, just to be able to be handled. He's a little over 3/4 Alpine with some Boer and Nubian.

RE: What did you do today? - Charlie Horse - 05-01-2016

Gomer Goat.
Gonzo Goat.
Grover Goat.
Oreo Double Gruff.
Chupaloopa.
Abragoat Lincoln. (If he has a good chance at a beard)
Ozzy Ozhorn.
Festus.

Hum.  Names are hard.  Let me reach out for some help from an expert.....

Festanus!

hahaa!! Ozzy Ozgoat Smile Funny. Now how to tame him? I've got him in a huge dog crate in the kitchen right now, going to sleep beside him tonight. He's eating and drinking just fine.

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 05-01-2016

To Saltlick
Goat names for new boy.
Spike
Spot
Lightning
Buthead. Smile
============================
My new one came pre-named  Fuzzy Lumpkin's by breeders GD. Fuzzy is his barn name now. Pure White coat
He was not handled much or at all. But two day's here and working with my big boy's that come to call from the brush around BC1 and suck up for attention.
They spend the nights together Fuzzy in the Goat Tote in the Redneck Goat Shed, with the gate in and strapped down the big boy's have the rest of the shed. No fights at night for now. Besides Fuzzy has proven he can get through the front gate bars easy. When he get's bigger that should not be a problem.
Keep the escape habit from starting is always best.
====================================
No Snow here but heavy thunderstorms and a 1"+ rain from 3 AM to 6 AM this morning. I hold the high ground here. Still 71 degrees here Smile
====================================

Moving on:
One Training tip on getting him more people friendly.  FOOD,water and milk and time around him.
Fuzzy got a farm colors collar on him the day he set foot here.
Hooked a 6 foot lead rope to it and let him drag it around. Sat and watched the big boy's work the brush around camp, Called them in several times for a treat. Caught him by stepping on the drag line to give him both warm milk, and hand feed. That way I am not grabbing at him and he learned to respect  "Restraint" with out it being associated with you by direct force.
Tug and release pressure as soon as he moves 1 inch, go from there. Fuzzy is still learning but not bolting away now.

Both of the above are methods I have used with horse foals for years. They work on goats too in my experience.
=======================================
BTY: I had good target shooting when Pete and Sam were getting a bit rough with the new boy in the hood.
Air Soft pistol get's their attention fast. Reach out and touch some one. Smile
Training: behind this is they get "Stung" and a yelled at (NO) and do not realize you shot them, they know the voice command and then get shot. Associative memory linked to "I better Not Do That Again" Smile Goats are smart.
=======================================
Comment for the Day:

You know your goats like you when you kick back for a "Afternoon" nap and wake up with a goat licking your arm. Smile and then settle into the shade with you to chew the cud and nap too.
I don't chew a cud but may have a cold beer handy. Smile
BTW: Mine like to listen to audio books that I have on my cell phone too.
Or Prepper Radio Broadcast from my SW radio.
===================================================
Happy Trails

Thanks Hihobaron! Lightning... hmmm. We have a lot of that around here! Dragging the lead is a good idea - my biggest worry is catching him if he gets out of the small enclosure I built for him. He's eating hay and drinking water great. Hope he'll find some treats he likes, so far no apple and no banana - not interested. Then again it's just been half a day...