Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 02-19-2016

Hello Charlie Horse
RE: "The metal framework makes me worry about legs getting broken."
I agree.
Mark 1, REV.1 for inside the Redneck Goat Shed is a layer of the rubber mat over the top and exposed side.
It will be not be needed for transport and I do need to keep it light enough to load in truck. Mat will be "Detachable"
Now IF I had to haul in bad weather I would use the same mating around the outside as "Insulation"
The Tote is already a very good shelter on farm or as transport by itself. Price was right too.Smile
BTY: I do have a camera looking into the goat boy's shed to see how they are using the goat totter.  Smile
Yes I "Spy" on my boys. Smile After all I built the Red Neck Goat shed big enough to foal out a mare if needed, or keep a eye on a sick animal.
Moving on:
RE: Getting Gross Smile
The trips I have taken the boys on have been "Short" and in the back seat (Folded down) with a rubber mat for traction.
1 Ton f-350 extended cab. No "deposits"  a lot of back seat driving advice though. Smile
As soon as they were unloaded everything was "deposited" in short order.
From what you say I got "lucky" ? Smile
All of my goat expeditions here are probably going to be "under 1 hour" driving time.
The areas I want to play with the goats in would be very tight parking for my big truck that is the reason for making the Goat Tote to fit in the box of our Toyota. As well as gas mileage. Sad
Last Item: " Other animals don't poop in their own den! "
Were did you hear that "Fairy" tail.
Any "Confined" animal will do what ever when Nature Calls, some are just "neater" than others.
I have horses that put everything up in "One" spot along the wall and pee in one spot in the stall. EASY to clean up.
THEN there are the mares that " Let Fly" everywhere and "Tromp" it into the bedding so you have to strip the stall.
I do think my boys are "respectful" of their shelter area.
But then they are outside "Free Range" every day. Smile
I do mean "Free Range" once they are out of the Red Neck Goat Shed" the "Only" thing that keeps them close is their "Bond" to me. it is a pain, (I can endure) I can work on computer / take a 3-4 hour nap walk out of door and try to do something outside and goat boys are there "Inspecting" . I know they are 50 yards or better away yet they home when they hear, see or smell me? when I come outside? and come into see what is going on. Then hang around
Also I am working on a "motage" of my horses here to post. Also some historical horses I have been privileged to have.
I have had the privilege to be "owned" by a few good horses and one mule. Smile
Now Goats are staking a claim on horse ground, they are not going to win but I will make a "working" agreement.
Happy Trails
hihobaron and the Troops from SC

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 02-20-2016

Hello All
Good News from here.
I did a initial scouting mission on Chestnut Ridge Preserve Trails.
Nice Day for a walkabout here (No Goats) Sad with me.
Next time the boy's go along. No Packs, well maybe Pete will carry a soft pack with a Bottle of Champagne to commemorate our first pack trip.Smile
Trail Report:
Took the Restricted access ATV trail (Fire Road) Nothing about walking it though. NO ATV TRACKS
I took the main foot trail a year ago and it was ok, but had some tree's down on it. They have been cleared.
The ATV trail is easier to walk and I did not go to the end of it. From some map reading I spotted a cut across trail to the walking trail. Took that short cut down to the walking trail walked back out to the trail head crossed 2 creeks on nice plank bridges good water there.
The ATV Trail (Now outlawed for ATV use)  Had a nice flat campsite at the trail junction. No water though.
I figure I can pack water up from creek for camp usage and goat boys can learn to tank up from the creek.
Plenty of dead wood around. Camp fire not a problem.
It is a good site and off the trails "City Folk use"
To all you Elk Hunters:
North Carolina is issuing 5 Elk Permits by Drawing for the NFS lands just north of Chestnut Ridge this fall.
It was a restocking program started about 5 years ago with elk from out west. They figure there are 300 running around now.
Happy Trails
hihobaron and the Goat Boys.

RE: What did you do today? - Taffy - 02-20-2016

It was a sunny warm (56*) day here today.  I decided to build the dirt pile back up into a hill in the goat pen.  Opened the gate to the pen and all the goats came running out - as usual.  They headed straight for the row of arborvitae.  While they were munching arborvitae I began using the tractor bucket to scoop up the dirt and build up the hill.  I'd only been at it about 5 minutes when they decided they needed to supervise!  Of course they were "hoof on" supervisors and I had to maneuver around them upon occasion!  When I was done recreating the hill I pulled the arborvitae that was mostly dead and put it in their pen.  I figured they'd eat the green part first.  Nope.  They began stripping the bark!  It must be tasty!  We all went for a walk out to our favorite corner of the west hay field.  I think they were enjoying the weather, too.  There was a lot of snorting (they scared themselves!), bucking, racing and antics going on!  I was able to hide behind a big fuel tank.  However, it only took a minute for them to begin calling and find me!  Here are a couple photos of the herd enjoying the arborvitae.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 02-21-2016

I learned a new word today! I've never heard of an "arborvitae" before. Jethro looks so much like Finn! Beautiful colors! And who is that gorgeous goatie on the left-hand side of the bottom photo? Is that Kahlua??

RE: What did you do today? - Taffy - 02-21-2016

Arborvitae are great wind and sun blockers plus great for privacy. I have them where I can keep water on them because they have shallow roots and don't survive here in the desert without a lot of it. I use a drip system for all of my landscaping. It's much more efficient than other methods.

Yes, Jethro and Finn have a lot of the same color. I love the riotous color! Yes, that's Kahlua. He looks a lot fatter than he is because of the cream belly and black line between it and his top color. I like the Nubia/Saanen and Nubian/Alpine airplane ears! Morgan and Kahlua (half brothers) keep going back and forth as they grow as to who is taller and longer. Kahlua is a pistol and Morgan is a "make love not war" goat. Yesterday when I had them out browsing Kahlua even tried to stand on Dude's back to get to the locust seeds! He also loves to act tough by putting his head down and pushing Dude and Jethro. Or he'll rear up to challenge them. He's s hoot!

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 02-22-2016

Hello All

Hello all

Today was Goat Mania day.
All to the good though.
To start the day after feeding the troops and with a storm system coming in.
After Turning Goat boys Loose I fired up the back up generator.
Figured to let it run for a while, charge the starter battery ect.
Sat down to listen Prepper Radio Station.
Both boy’s hanging out close by, I think they like Prepper Radio???
Next thing I know Sam is up on top of the generator with it running and laying down. !!!!
Pete is standing in the exhaust flow using it like a blow dryer. !!!!!
Top of generator has plywood over a roll cage with rubber mat on top of all, nice and warm I am thinking.
They can not hurt the equipment so watch and enjoy the goats is my way of thinking.
[img=373x0]http://res.cloudinary.com/mainstreampreppers/image/upload/v1456196713/xelwwq9n6botbwqevetx.jpg[/img]
Then they both got together to “Guard” the Generator.
[img=379x0]http://res.cloudinary.com/mainstreampreppers/image/upload/v1456196825/mnlfpvicfgaowcury4ig.jpg[/img]
Happy Trails
hihobaron Pete and Sam

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 02-23-2016

Hello All 
Today was the Maiden Voyage of the Goat Boy's and the Goat Tote. 
Loaded the tote in the truck and put a couple handfuls of feed in. Both boy's jumped right in.
Closed the door and tailgate ,drove off up the road. Went up to friends place parked and went into help with some "Shop" arranging left boy's in Goat Tote for a hour. They just settled down, and relaxed.
[Image: nrmsng8b7uxwsm3lchrl.jpg]
Let's Roll
[Image: gop6779ixcvadvvg8rbs.jpg]
Road Trip Ready
Happy Trails
"On the road again"
hihobaron Pete and Sam 

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 02-27-2016

Hello all
The Truck Chasing Goats have been at it again.
Trucked in Supplies to BC1.
Shotgun Susan (SS) My Lady
Made a town run while I stayed here to work on things.
With the Goat Boy's Running around helping. Smile
I was telling the Goat Boy's  they would be going for a truck ride and Real Hike Sunday.
They were excited.  SS got back we unloaded the box of the truck, as soon as there was room the boy's started jumping in on their own.  Ok fine.
We had stuff in the cab too that we needed to unload from both sides. 
Both Cab Doors open.
Boy's jumped out of box onto the ground and into the cab.  Needless to say SS was not happy with them.
Pull Sam out, then Pete would jump in from the other side.
She would pull Pete out and by that time Sam would be coming back in from the other side of the truck. They were that excited to go for a truck ride they were not going to miss out I think. It was a hilarious Rondy Round. Pull one out the other jumps in.  Big Grin
Needless to say I was not much help because I was ROFL.
Finally got them to stop playing Merry Go Round.
Got unloaded and truck closed up.
Went walk about with goat boy's in trail and Max as lead trail scout dog.
Horse feeding time. As I have mentioned I feed BP mash to horses so after I fix rations they need to soak for a while. Normal I walk back to BC1 lock up the boys, otherwise they are to willing to help the horses eat.  Tongue Well tonight I had heard there was some trouble yesterday up at the neighbors house a small fire and a burn victim (Her Adult son) took some 2nd degree hand and facial burns in a propane flash fire. 
I figured to walk up cross country with the boys and dog (Horse Trail) to see how her son was doing.and see how the  boys would handle a different walking trail than just up to the barn.
No problems,  knocked on door neighbor came out, was surprised to see the goats with me. She knows my horses and visits them from time to time. Ok with me.
Has not met the goat boys in person.
They made pest of themselves.  Big Grin
BTY: Her farm truck was sitting there with tail gate down (it is a beater work truck)
The boy's were happy to show how well they could get into the box of a full size truck and snoop around. ( One their own)
One "Down" command they both got out for some rewards.
(They like Horse Cookies Cinnamon/Apple) I don't treat all the time but do carry a pouch full when working them to keep their attention.  Wink
At any rate her son was doing good in the burn center, she got a laugh out of the goats antics (I think she needed that) and we hiked back down to BC1 by a different trail.
Scout dog leading Goat boy's in trail formation and browsing then playing catch up.
Normal.
Tomorrow will be their big day, Nice weather, a truck ride in the goat tote, different people, and probably some different dogs.  
Needless to say I will have my preferred form of dog repellent with me. JIC
Pictures will be forth coming in the next few days.

Happy Trails
hihobaron Max, Pete, and Sam
The Great Eastern Explores 
Maybe  Wink

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 03-03-2016

Hello All
I am looking for Opinions based on trail experience.

Question:?
What senses do you think a goat on trail or in camp uses the most to keep track of you?
Vision.
Sound.
Smell.

Anyone have an experience with goats "Scent Trailing" to catch back up with you/herd?

Happy Trails
hihobaron

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 03-03-2016

I've only seen them use vision and sound to locate things. I've never seen them use their noses to find something that's lost--even mothers looking for lost babies. I know they have a very good sense of smell, but I'm pretty sure it's tuned to detect predators, recognize hormones (like for bucks and does), mothers recognizing their own kids, and sniffing food. All of this is up-close sniffing and they don't follow the scent unless they are actually following the thing giving off the scent (buck following doe in heat, mama following newborn kid, greedy mobster following the grain bucket, etc.). They sniff scents as they waft by but I've never seen them follow a "scent trail" to locate something that is out of sight. If I quietly left a bucket of sweet feed by the back porch, they would find it by seeing the bucket and running over to investigate, not by following the smell of grain from a place out of sight. Also, when mama goats are looking for lost kids, she will baa-aa in hopes of getting them to talk back to her so she can locate them by sound. Then she makes a final positive smell identification when she gets close enough to nuzzle. But she never "sniffs them out" that I've ever seen.