Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - Charlie Horse - 01-16-2016

Shelby's scurs just fall off every now and then, leaving a horrid bloody bump.

If there's no blood in the horn you should be able to just cut it off. How do you find out if there's blood in it? I dunno. A drill?

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 01-16-2016

Hello Charlie Horse
Have I mentioned I like your Avatar Smile
It could apply around here too. Even if I don't have "Horned Goats"
Thanks for the info a Scurs.
I know that when I got Sam the person that we got him from the last day of Prepper Camp pulled off the big scur.
Yes it did bleed and he did not like it, he was in a stock when it was done. He got over it and now is my prime pack goat prospect.
I think I will see what happens with Sam's he is only 9 months old and his do not stick up like Pete's.
Pete has a Unicorn type scur.
Just on one side.
Happy Trails
hihobaron

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 01-16-2016

You can trim the scurs back a bit with a pair of hoof trimmers, but be careful. Larger scurs can bleed quite a lot. Sometimes it's better if you just snip off the scur tips with the hoof trimmers then file the edges smooth rather than try to get them down close to the skull. The goats don't like it when you do this so they have to be well restrained so you don't accidentally trim too short or rip the scur. I have a couple of does who need their scurs trimmed from time to time because they get dangerously sharp if they grow too long.

Thanks Nanno
Pete's one scur is getting a fish hook type tip on it that was my worry it could snag something.
Sam has a pair but the are growing out flat.
Thanks again Enjoy my next post.
Happy Trails
hihobaron

Hello all.
It was a Horse and Goat day here.
The neighbor with the Milking goats is also a home schooling teacher.
Was doing a Saturday Farm trip for a few kids and wanted to have a pony ride and meet some goats other than milking goats. (Friendly Goats) 
So we brought their Welch Pony (Cob Size) down to BC1 , did a pet and groom session for the kids with him,and my goat boy's running around underfoot. All went well  the kids got a ride and had fun with the goat boy's that were more than willing to take in all the attention from the kids they could get.
A true Pack Goat advantage. Goats being that social with strangers.
Well there was one problem, When the kids ran back across the street they had company the goat boy's chased/followed them like good pack goats should. Then they started kibitzing through the fence with all the goat lady's. While I helped walk the pony back up to his pasture. Then caught up my AWOL  Goat Boy's and took them home on leashes.
Bad goats Sad
They went more or less willingly it was close to feeding time anyway. 
BTY: Jet is a good stout Welch Pony big enough for a adult to ride or would make a good Pack horse.
He lives with goats right now and they do not bother him or him them.
Another possible member of the troops here. 
[Image: t3yvrp6yk8cx0hfdpcj3.jpg]
Not to bad for a close to 20 yer old pony. BTY: Welch have a long life expectancy 30 + years.
[Image: uzthfsjjncsqr4oscyqz.jpg]
BTY:  The Goats and Horses at BC1 approved this post.
Happy Trails
hihobaron

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 01-19-2016

Hello All you Goat Haulers
Question to ya'll from Upstate South Carolina.
RE: How much room in a Crate type container do you consider for 2 Medium Size Goat that are de-horned and get along?
I have good horse trailers but I don't want to use them for just a couple goats. This would be for "short" trips to hike with them for their next stage of training. Noting more than 35 miles and on back roads no Interstate.
What I have in mind is a 275 gallon tote on its side top cut out for a door. With rubber mats and a gate strapped down in the bed. Inside dimensions are about 4 X 4 X 4 feet.
It would have controllable ventilation and only get used in nice weather SC Weather Smile It will fit (I think) in the bed of a Toyota Tacoma Truck.
Suggestions /Information appreciated. Pictures of Pete and Sam are Elsewhere on PGC look for Hihobaron.
Happy Trails hihobaron ,Pete and Sam

RE: What did you do today? - Charlie Horse - 01-19-2016

Sounds like that'd work. I once fit 5 of my goats in the back of a suburban. Its about 4x6. It was ridiculous. 2 had to be tied so they didn't bite ears or use horns.

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 01-19-2016

Hello CH
I one time hauled 6 Holstein Calves in the back of my 1/2 ton pickup with a shell on it.
You should have seen the looks I got at a stop light when "City Folk"pulled up beside me and heard "Mooing" coming from the back of my truck. These were Bottle Baby replacement Heifer calves right off the Cow. Smile
Happy Trails
Thanks
hihobaron

RE: What did you do today? - hihobaron - 01-20-2016

Hello All
I have a Question
Re: Goat Treats.
Will Roasted Honey Glazed Almonds hurt a goat? the boy's here like them well.
Fed only in small quantities, as rewards for coming to call  for example.
Like one or two for the right response.
Maybe will use them to Trick train too. But I am not much for Trick Training I have seen with horses it can lead to some bad habits.
Why, You ask feed them as treats?
Reason I have a case in nice heavy duty glass jars that were "Given to me" I have eaten about as many as I can stand.  Share the Gift you know.  Smile  If possible.
Happy Trails
Thanks
hihobaron

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 01-20-2016

I don't see why almonds wouldn't make good treats. They're not toxic to goats as far as I know. If the goats like them, go for it!

Trick training can be used to cure bad habits. I had a young horse that liked to bite people regularly and often. He learned not to bite me, but it never translated to anyone else. I needed him for my carriage business and couldn't have him biting the customers. His biting was not mean-spirited but playful in nature (doesn't matter to the customer though--if they get bit by a horse they get bit by a horse and they don't care why he did it!). I figured what he really needed was an outlet. He was orally busy all the time and would grab a lot of things besides people too. So I taught him to give kisses. He surprised a few folks that way, but once I taught him to kiss he never bit another person. He just needed something to do. Smile