Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - nebs - 08-03-2014

That's great Taffy! A win win for everyone.

RE: What did you do today? - Teckelhut - 08-03-2014

Aww...that's neat! Sounds like a match made in heaven.

RE: What did you do today? - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 08-03-2014

Whelp finally purchased the camcorder. I decided not to go with used even though the savings on them were so big. I instead found one that was originally 500.00 in 2012 was reduced to 300.00 now but because I bought it in blue, was got it down to 200.00 Smile Thats under my 300.00 budget. I took the rest of that budget and a touch more and put it into a new camo suit Smile Now just need to have a good work week to put some money back in the coffers.

Sony HDR-CX210 High Definition Handycam 5.3 MP Camcorder with 25x Optical Zoom (Blue) (2012 Model)

RE: What did you do today? - deschutes dawn - 08-03-2014

Dave, nice find! Taffy, that young lady is a doll! I hope she has as much fun with goats as us older children do.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 08-04-2014

I judged a packgoat show today! It was at the Boulder County Fair and it was a lot of fun! This was my first "official" time to judge a show. I've volunteered to judge some small horse shows and the Pueblo County 4-H packgoat show this summer, but this is the first time I've ever been paid to judge anything. I hope I was worth it!

The trail class was pretty easy to judge--anyone could do it, and Phil says he wants to be the judge at the next show. The conformation classes were trickier. The small working type was not too hard--there were 2-3 nice top choices. But the large working type was hard because I didn't really like any of them as packgoat prospects. It's easier to judge between nice goats because you can be picky, but when they all have some pretty big conformation flaws it's hard to decide--do you go for the one with the nice, rangy, strong body type with the weak pasterns, or do you go for the short, round-bodied goat with nice legs but who looks like he'd be impossible to fit a pack to and who doesn't move nicely? It's really hard to choose. The baby wethers are also a bit arbitrary. I don't like arbitrary, so those two classes made me kind of uncomfortable. But I got through it, and hopefully I'll be better next time.

I set up my "Why Working Goats?" poster and set out a stack of my "PackGoats Banned??" literature. I'm not sure how much was taken. I spent most of my time in the ring, not near the display. I didn't get to do a talk or anything.

All in all it was a fun day and a good experience. I'd do it again if asked. But the best part of it all was coming home to a herd of goats who were overjoyed to see Phil and I back again. For heaven's sake! we were only gone one night and one day and I had an excellent person to take care of them! But to see them cavorting around and fawning on us, you'd think they were under the impression that they'd just been saved from total abandonment.

RE: What did you do today? - Saltlick - 08-05-2014

Hey folks just checking in here from Mongolia! All is well except I tore the ligament when my ankle rolled while walking and I'm having an issue with my tailbone so no more 10 day horse trips for me. We got the motorcycles to the park rangers, it was a big deal, the town had a huge ceremony for us and it made my ear watching those rangers red off on their new bikes!

In other news, I am moving here to a village called Hatgal, on Lake Hovsgol next spring when it's warm enough to fly my dog and cat. With heavy heart I will have to re-home my goats sometime this winter. I wish I could bring them here!!!!! A good home will be necessary, I love these guys and can't let them go to just anyone. Anyhow, something to keep in mind. The photos I brought of my goat packing adventures struck a lot of interest here. Unfortunately Mongolian goats are small, and I'll buy a couple of horses anyhow.

I have no idea yet how I'll support myself here, but I'm not too worried. Once I'm settled you all ate welcome to come visit!

Made my year watching them ride off I mean..).

RE: What did you do today? - deschutes dawn - 08-05-2014

Holy cow, Saltlick, you don't mess around when you make a move! Mongolia? Wow!

RE: What did you do today? - Teckelhut - 08-05-2014

(08-05-2014, 08:42 PM)Saltlick Wrote: Hey folks just checking in here from Mongolia! All is well except I tore the ligament when my ankle rolled while walking and I'm having an issue with my tailbone so no more 10 day horse trips for me. We got the motorcycles to the park rangers, it was a big deal, the town had a huge ceremony for us and it made my ear watching those rangers red off on their new bikes!

In other news, I am moving here to a village called Hatgal, on Lake Hovsgol next spring when it's warm enough to fly my dog and cat. With heavy heart I will have to re-home my goats sometime this winter. I wish I could bring them here!!!!! A good home will be necessary, I love these guys and can't let them go to just anyone. Anyhow, something to keep in mind. The photos I brought of my goat packing adventures struck a lot of interest here. Unfortunately Mongolian goats are small, and I'll buy a couple of horses anyhow.

I have no idea yet how I'll support myself here, but I'm not too worried. Once I'm settled you all ate welcome to come visit!

Made my year watching them ride off I mean..).

If your goats were not so far away, I would give them a good home here.

What a wonderful life you will have. But watch the winters. They are brutal!

RE: What did you do today? - Saltlick - 08-05-2014

-45 will indeed be brutal!

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 08-06-2014

Wow, Saltlick! When you get into something, you sure go all the way! Best of luck in your new adventures. I hope you can find a great home for your goatie friends. And make sure to keep us posted!