Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - Charlie Horse - 05-05-2020

My boys are down the road at the neighbor's small pasture eating the good stuff.  It happens twice per year and gives me time to maintain stuff in the goat zone.  I took a few pictures of Barry Goatalo and Vincent VanGoat today.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 05-05-2020

Man... Barry looks amazing! He's got strong, beautiful conformation and I love his rich color!

RE: What did you do today? - Charlie Horse - 05-06-2020

When I was walking back to the house, the goats thought they were supposed to go with me (happens the first time I drop them off, every time). Shelby GT got back, and took a running jump and cleared the drill-pipe fence like a steeplechase horse! Once I put him back he understood that he had to stay and none of them seemed worried after that. Now when I drive up twice per day, or stop by on my bicycle, they come running before I even start slowing down. They know I have saltines!

Goatalo is 39 inches at the withers roughly. He's a tad taller than Bacchus, but ranks below Woodstock. He's sweet. But not too into scratches and stuff. Likes it on his horn bases but trots off after just a few seconds if you scratch him elsewhere. He's great in the car. Loads easily. But hasn't carried a pack yet-- But he's about to. I'm going to use the fancy saddle on him. Its really made for a large goat and will be a perfect fit.

I had been using it on Shelby but that goat is an easy choker and both the breast strap and the yoke style don't work well on him. I'm going to have to just create a V-shaped strap setup that never touches his throat. I guess its because he's such a spindly build.

Had a scare a few days ago. It was saltine time and I didnt notice that Amelia Goat-Hart wasn't there. Since Shelby has no horns, he jumped on top of his goat house to get his treats. I had to reach way over the fence to get to him and I looked down and there's an upside-down goat wedged between the goat house and a truck-bed-box I use for storage. I figured I had a dead goat. Ran around and saw she was kinda quivery. Figured she'd be in shock but she made a sad little bahh. I tilted the box up and she struggled around a bit but got her footing and walked off in an unsteady, dizzy kind of way. She's fine now but I'm really glad I caught it soon enough! She can thank Shelby her half brother. Super unlucky of her. Its just a couple feet where it was narrow and she found a way to fall in. So I moved the box out of their area.

I think since the boys are now down the road, its time to weld metal frames for the dividers inside the polydomes. I have to constantly fix the wood ones, and if one breaks, a goat has nowhere to sleep until I notice, which is bad in the winter.

Also soon I'm putting the yurt up in the back. The goats wont be allowed in that area anymore once I do.

RE: What did you do today? - Charlie Horse - 05-12-2020

https://www.ksl.com/article/46752269/at-least-1-killed-in-flash-floods-near-goblin-valley-state-park

So I headed out with the dog (no goats) to do some photography in Miller Canyon-- For my purposes I need it to be overcast and we had a 30% chance of rain scheduled for the day. Miller Canyon is pretty small and has a road down the middle-- its not a slot canyon. But when I came over the hill I saw way too much rain and gave up on that project. But I could see a big thunder cell forming to the south of I-70. Well, it looks like it got some people in Little Wild Horse. I swear they need to put some escape ladders in there. Every few years someone gets washed through the zig zag slot canyon. I imagine there's not much left.

Friday my brother was in town and we did a little hike. The goats are up the road so we just opened the gate and went straight up into the local hills. Before we got far at all I saw movement in a box canyon to the side-- A deer on the ground. I told my brother to hold the dogs and I went over for a look, thinking one might be giving birth, and if so I'd retreat. It was a 2yo male. Skinny. He had matted down the grass in the area and rubbed a lot of fur off of his sides and elbows. Flopping like a drunk fish. My brother and I both yelled "MAD DEER" and I turned and ran away before the goats would get near. Chronic Wasting Disease! And in a 2yo of all things. How can it act so fast!? I had the local Wildlife officer come out and they put him down and bagged him and took him back for study. They got there right in time because my brother came back 3 minutes after we got there and was going to put him down himself, since he was suffering in the sun and stuff. I have to say, the poor guy gave off a 'zombie' feel to me. I kid you not. I know its just a poor deer that doesnt know whats happening, but the movements were all wrong and he was so messed up it was like real life zombie!

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 05-12-2020

Well dang... that's too bad someone died in there. I can see what a risk flash floods pose in Little Wild Horse, especially when you have tons of people crowded in at once. It's a beautiful canyon but it's a little too "discovered" at this point. Would be fun to go during the off-season when no one (or almost no one) is there.

RE: What did you do today? - blackie's maiden - 06-21-2020

Well, today, as for the last 3 days, we are out of the Texas heat and looking at places in Montana. Our 2 year search is getting frustrating. We saw a place today that looked hopeful, but when the realtor checked it out, there was already a pending contract on it. He says right now, more.contracts are falling thru because of covid and jobs falling thru, etc, so there is still a grain of hope. We are stretching our time away from the farm and probably straining our farm sitter to try to get to see the inside of this place tomorrow if he can coordinate it and maybe get positioned as backup offer. Prayers appreciated it all comes together.

Hope all are staying safe.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 06-22-2020

Best of luck to you. If you want to swing by my place on your way home, I'm just 45 minutes south of Pueblo off I-25. You can spend the night if you need to.

RE: What did you do today? - blackie's maiden - 06-23-2020

Wish we could. Late returning due to paperwork. Must hightailed it. Maybe next time. Thanks for wonderful offer.

RE: What did you do today? - blackie's maiden - 06-23-2020

We signed a contract on a Montana property but only as backup offer on one that already has a contract pending. Hate to wish anyone bad luck k but we are hoping first contract falls thru. This one already has all off grid utilities well done, land, nice small cabin and some fence done , 3 strand barbed wire. No barn, darn it. We will have to build if we can get it done without costing all the gold in Ft. Knox in those difficult mountains.

RE: What did you do today? - Charlie Horse - 06-23-2020

Have you seen it in winter? Stuff looks different with 6 feet of snow on the ground. Then again, cold keeps the zombies away.