Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - Charlie Horse - 03-07-2018

That cart has more seating than most of my cars. Its probably worth more than a couple of them too LOL.

Been thinking about building my own 4 wheel cart that could be adapted for a goat or pony.

And speaking of that, unfortunately one of my horses, Shoney D. Pony is getting some laminitis. She's 20 and rather fat because of her Welsh genes. I expect her to pull through, and she's now on a strict feeding schedule (laminitis/founder is mostly a result of a sort of horse diabetes). Part of her recovery is going to be exercise and since she's a bit too small for me to ride, and she's a great cart horse, so building a cart is higher priority than it was before.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 03-07-2018

(03-06-2018, 08:43 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: Now that's a spiffy wagon. Who made that?

We got it from Frontier Equestrian. They make harnesses and carts of all sizes and kinds. This is one of their miniature horse wagons that was on sale. I can't wait to try it out for real! Unfortunately I'll be out of town this coming weekend so it will have to wait until the following weekend. I also have to make a yoke for it. The yoke for our other hitch is to short to use with this one. We had to jerry-rig something from a couple of hames straps for the test drive.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 03-09-2018

Well, I had a rather exciting morning. The couple who bought Boone and Crockett two years ago called me on the phone at 7:15 in a panic. One of their does was in labor and they couldn't get the kid out. The head was presented but the legs were both back. The poor lady was panicking and desperate. The phone got juggled from her to daughter to husband to floor while they worked on that baby. I could hear the mama goat screaming in the background and a lot of frenzied voices. I explained that baby had to be pushed back in a ways so they could find a foot. The woman was in tears because she thought they were going to lose baby. I think it was the daughter who managed to push baby back and find a leg. I was relieved to hear shouts of triumph when the baby came away and he was fine. Whew! So glad there was a happy ending to that story! They've got two more does to kid in the next week or two. Hopefully those go more smoothly. Sounds like Boone and Crockett are doing well.

RE: What did you do today? - DownUnder Gal - 03-10-2018

Glad to hear Boone and Crockett are enjoying their new home.

I LOVE your new wagon!

RE: What did you do today? - Mike - 03-17-2018

Hey Guys it been a minute.  I hope all of you have had a good winter!

The weather finally started to get a little nice so I figure we would get out today and try packing some actual weight on the boys and get my kids used to the idea of carrying there own packs for a couple of miles and see where we are all at.  It went better than I thought it would.  We just went out for the day but geting 25 pounds worth of weight  on the two goats was easy because we brought a cast iron waffle maker, a can of whipped cream and all the fixing for hot chocalate.  I think they both ate 2 whole waffles with straw berries and whipped cream.  My kids love to day camp when we get the chance and it makes over nights that much easier also because they know there job.  They really love the goats.  My daughter is all over the feeding and brushing in camp.  The goats really like hiking also.  It like they know what there job is.  All three on the guys loaded great.  When I backed my truck up I thought Steve (white alpine) was going to climb over the gate.  I kept Garbie on lead for the walk from the truck into "camp" and put up a low line run for him in camp.  Last time I let him off lead he took off and I found him at the truck 35 minutes or more later.  I did let him off on the way back to ths truck and I was pleased to see that through all our training he has figure out that we are his herd.  So he stayed with us just like he has been trained to.  He would stop when we did and come back to the group.  At intersection we would also and wait to see which way we where going to go. I was really expecting him to take of and meet us at the truck.  I always ask my kids when we get home what there favorite part of the day was.  I figured it would be the waffles.  I was incorrect.  The both said that Garbie not running off was the best part of the day.  Pritty cool.   We have 4 multi day goat trips planned for this summer.  I am super stoked about the opertunity to cheat into back packing with my kids a few years early!!!

RE: What did you do today? - Mike - 03-17-2018

I thought this was pritty funny also,  two days ago the weather was great so my kids and I  took the boys out with there gear on for a short around the house training walk.  Well I figure I have a 50 pound son and a 200 plus pound goat all rigged up lets party!!!  The end result was 1 angry goat, 1 horrified son,  and a father and daughter laughing at the before mentioned son.  He made it about 15 ft before he REALLY WANTED OFF.  We wont do it again because tats not what my guys are for and my son is on the heavy side of a good load but it was funny once!

RE: What did you do today? - goatzrule - 03-19-2018

That looks like a lot of fun! Is the Oberhasli looking goat new?

RE: What did you do today? - Mike - 03-19-2018

No I got Hairy ( Ober) at the same time as Steve (white Alpine).  I just was not taking him out before.  I got him from a New Moon rescue for friend of mine but it did not work out wth his wife so I took him.  I was told by the woman who runs the rescue is 10 to 13 yrs old.  I though that was to old to pack, but he seam to enjoy being out in the woods.  And my daughter has really stepped up and taken ownership of him so it works out good.
Garbie (the large tan alpine) was the one that took off on me the first time I let him off his lad and ended up back at my truck.  He has come a long way since  got him.  I kept him on his lead on the way to our day camp.  But when we where ready to go back I let hom off.  I 100% expected him to beat feet for the truck, but he did not.  I was amazed.  I put alot of work in this winter with the three of them and my kids to make a system that would work and it seamed to pay off the other day.  I am not going to claim total victory yet.  After a couple more trips then maybe.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 03-19-2018

It's amazing what a little bonding can do. He ran back to the truck because he didn't know you and the rest of the "herd" yet. Now he knows his best, safest place is with you and his buddies.

John Mionczynski's first packgoat, Weathervane, was 11 years old when he first started. Wink

RE: What did you do today? - Mike - 03-20-2018

My kids where helping me feed the guys today and ended up just play on the goat obsticles.  Then they move over to the trimming stansion.  They had a bunch of question about how it worked and trimming hooves.  They did not understand how it worked or how the goatvwould not just get out.  So I demonstrated on them.  So now they know how it works and I no longer need to spend money on baby sitters!!!