Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 12-16-2017

So beautiful! Koby is so striking, and Gilbert's horns are incredible! What size halter is Koby wearing?

RE: What did you do today? - DownUnder Gal - 12-16-2017

Thanks! It's a size 5, although for some reason it's a bit bigger than his black one, which is also a size 5. Here's another pic of Gilbert's horns at the beginning of spring when he was still woolly.  I do love his horns but they kind of get in the way a bit on hikes. Gilbert doesn't really have good conformation for a packer but what he lacks in body type he makes up in heart/attitude  Big Grin

RE: What did you do today? - goatzrule - 12-16-2017

Gilbert is beautilful he has horns to rival by buck

RE: What did you do today? - Mike - 12-18-2017

(12-16-2017, 07:02 PM)DownUnder Gal Wrote: Thanks! It's a size 5, although for some reason it's a bit bigger than his black one, which is also a size 5. Here's another pic of Gilbert's horns at the beginning of spring when he was still woolly.  I do love his horns but they kind of get in the way a bit on hikes. Gilbert doesn't really have good conformation for a packer but what he lacks in body type he makes up in heart/attitude  Big Grin

That is a beutifal goat!!!!  WOW!!! Is he a kiko cross

RE: What did you do today? - Mike - 12-18-2017

Took my kids and two goats out yesturday for woods pancakes.  It went well.  However had a experiance.

We took out our new Alpine, Garbie.  He is 4 y/o and has not been worked much.  Initially I had him on his lead and kept possitive control of him the whole time.  Then I decided to get brave and let him go, just to see what would happen.  Terrible idea!!!  He did a about face and headed strait back down the trail.  I stopped him with my goat Steve once, but I could not get ahold of  his lead. So off he went down the trail.  I had my kids and chasing him down was ot going to work so I just went back to our day camp and packed up gear.  In the back.of my mind I had a tiny hope he had just gone back to my truck. I remenber reading that Alpine have a good trail memory so maybe, just maybe he just would be at my truck.  It took about a hour to pack gear, kids and get back to my truck.  Guess who was patiantly waoting there?  Garbie!!!  Standing there ears forward, almost smiling, happy to see us.  He actually walked down to meet us.  I went from full anger to amazed in seconds.  I had read about goats getting loose and just heading to the trail head.  Well it really happens!!  Lesson learned, dont let go of Garbie for awhile Big Grin

RE: What did you do today? - goatzrule - 12-18-2017

Looks like you fun. I make sure that my goats are well bonded and follow on a loose lead before letting them go.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 12-18-2017

Funny story, Mike! Glad he went back to the truck and wasn't waylaid by any loose dogs or anything.

RE: What did you do today? - DownUnder Gal - 12-19-2017

Hi Mike, Gilbert is a Rangeland (aka Australian feral). Unfortunately we don't have Kikos in Australia.

RE: What did you do today? - IdahoNancy - 12-20-2017

If you are into it for around $200 you can get a good used Garmin GPS Astro 220 and a dog collar tracking device. We got a 2nd one on EBay they are the older units that work great. Put the dog collar on your alpha, your new goat, or in my case on my husband. You can track things for miles with a small hand held Garmin and good topographic images. Once I pick up the dog collar 6 miles away in a mountainous area.

RE: What did you do today? - Mike - 12-20-2017

(12-19-2017, 11:09 PM)DownUnder Gal Wrote: Hi Mike, Gilbert is a Rangeland (aka Australian feral). Unfortunately we don't have Kikos in Australia.

Man, that make Gilbert even cooler he is from a feral goat liniage.  This may not be cool to say but,  I have hunted alot of feral goats in Hawaii an gotten a few nice rams.  When I saw his horns the first thing that popped into mind where those feral Hawaiin boys head gear.  Its really neat that they have such awesome coloring.  Again really handson boy, thanks for the reply!