Pack Goat Central

Full Version: Dairy goats packing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do you think a dairy goat can hike after being dried up for the year or does it depend on the udder and attachments
next to the udder it depends on overall body condition and attitude of the goat, next to stamina
Great question! I've been thinking about the same thing lately. My thought is that because of our Lilly's oversized, pendulous udder, we may not breed her too many more times, at least not in consecutive years. But when she's dry her udder shrinks down nicely and attitude-wise I think she'd make an excellent little packgoat. Obviously she'll never be as large and strong as the boys so we'll have to give her less to carry, but I don't see any reason why she can't haul her share. My Lilly is a tremendous go-getter who absolutely LOVES to hike and explore. She almost needs to carry a pack just to slow her down and make her stay with the group. Last time we took her hiking she ran ahead and then back to us the entire way out like an excited puppy. If your goat's udder shrinks to a portable size and she likes to go hiking, then I'm sure she'd make a perfectly good packgoat. Smile
Agree with San.
Ok great my current and only packer is the one that has possibly been bread I just was curious for once that over
well, let's get down to specifics, then

depending on how many kids she had, she will be very skinny and should rather have a rest to build up body condition for winter instead of carrying weight. The skinnier she is, the harder it will also be to fit the saddle to her because it will be too wide and ride too low on her chest with the spine poking out.

If she has a good work attitude, great. I've had dairy goats that don't like the discipline of packing and will complain the whole time.

if she has spend the winter and spring on pasture, paddock, stable only she won't have enough stamina to be comfortable on longer hikes, starting to pant, getting tired much faster. So you need to keep her trained during pregnancy and lactation.

Overall, I would pack/hike her in the year AFTER lambing.
And a lot has to depend on the goat. Some does just maintain their over all condition better then others. Here thats the herd bosses. They get the best and most food, fight and stay in condition better as they are much more active then the lower ranked does who just kinda wonder around under the radar.

Personally I wouldnt pack a milker other then maybe big really like weight stuff like sleeping bags and pillows. Less then say 10 lbs. If she were in milk, they do make udder bras. Id not take her out without one to protect her udder from getting cut open. If she is not milking and her udder has shrunk for the year, being high and tight, then no bra needed. But I still wouldnt put any more weight on her. The stress of pregnancy, birthing and then raising kids, is quite enough work for any goat. So pack her light and let her enjoy her time, not work through it.