Pack Goat Central

Full Version: What did you do today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got to take Sputnik for a drive this afternoon. He's been acting like a moody teenager lately (begging to be caught one minute then wants nothing to do with me; is the herd "good ol' boy" right before challenging or pummeling someone). Today's drive was no different. He was great then he was stubborn, bold and then scared of everything. I had a good time and I think Sputnik had a good time but it's hard to say. I doubt he knows whether he had a good time either. He would probably change his mind depending on when you asked. Being a moody teenager is hard. At least we got in some practice.

The weather probably didn't help. It started out warm as spring and then dropped significantly during our drive. My hands were numb when we got back to the truck. I believe it must have dropped a good 20 degrees in an hour or so. The horses were going berserk when I got home and were racing all over their small paddock (not sure why they didn't take it to the big pasture where they actually had room to run!). They were rearing, leaping, kicking, bucking, snorting, and flinging mud everywhere. Jet nipped at Skokie and Skokie responded with what would have been a magnificent leap-and-bolt maneuver if he hadn't been pushing off slick mud. His feet went straight up in the air instead of his body. His body crashed upside-down in the mud while his feet pointed at the sky, still flailing in a running motion. It was hilarious. He got himself back up and took off with a "nobody saw that!" look on his face.
I went for a nice ride today and brought Finn and Sputnik along for the exercise. It's been quite a while since I've had them trail my horse and it's not something they're terribly fond of. Among other things, they have to work to keep up. I really ought to do it regularly so they can get in shape. We got to the overlook area at the gorge and there were two people down there enjoying the view. My boys had a great time climbing over the barrier and doing daredevil stunts along the precipice. The folks at the gorge were delighted and kept leaning over to get pictures of my crazy caprines. My boys decided it would be more fun to stay and play on the rocks than to follow me and my horse back onto the trail. After all, it was safe. There were people there to look after them! I had to get off my horse so I could grab Finn and make him come along. My goats were not the poster children of obedience today!
(02-18-2017, 07:19 PM)Nanno Wrote: [ -> ]I went for a nice ride today and brought Finn and Sputnik along for the exercise. It's been quite a while since I've had them trail my horse and it's not something they're terribly fond of. Among other things, they have to work to keep up. I really ought to do it regularly so they can get in shape. We got to the overlook area at the gorge and there were two people down there enjoying the view. My boys had a great time climbing over the barrier and doing daredevil stunts along the precipice. The folks at the gorge were delighted and kept leaning over to get pictures of my crazy caprines. My boys decided it would be more fun to stay and play on the rocks than to follow me and my horse back onto the trail. After all, it was safe. There were people there to look after them! I had to get off my horse so I could grab Finn and make him come along. My goats were not the poster children of obedience today!

Sounds like fun! I want a horse again... but I can't afford it. Someday!!! Smile
Spent some time hiking with Koby and arranged some entertainment for the goats on the jungle gym today (cut branches).

[attachment=3307]
Pretty!!
Is that eucalyptus? Aren't you afraid that you'll attract bears to your goats with that stuff?
Yes. And only koalas - everyone knows they are not real bears
He's so glossy and black!
It's been waaayyy the heck too quiet around here lately!

I've been trying to finish an article for Goat Tracks Magazine. My articles have a tendency to get away from me and become more like expositions. It's about the technical workings of team harnesses and hitches. Sounds incredibly boring. I hope it is at least informative. It has pictures so it can't be all bad. My brain hurts so I'm going to spend the rest of the evening sitting slack-jawed in front of the Big Screen.
Got my new bottle baby settled in! The 2nd buckling is a lamancha that's coming home tomorrow.
He's a Saanen 45 days old today. Weighs 40# and is 22" at the shoulder. He is also very brave so I have high hopes for this guy. 
[Image: IMG_20170304_140422_zpsbblryoim_edit_148...2vzviz.jpg]