Pack Goat Central

Full Version: What did you do today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if napping near a goat counts as much. One of the truths of mammal behavior is that touching is a powerful bonding mechanism. So its really best if they have to actually lean on you and smell you and feel the movements of your breathing and fidgeting. I agree that it works great with puppies. My adult dogs have ended up wanting to sleep on the floor though, due to the bed being too warm for them most of the time. I honestly dont like them on the bed the whole night.

Its pretty hard to beat food for bribing your way into their friendship. Its a good thing that Vincent Van Goat is a bottle baby-- He's immune to treats. I've never presented him with anything he wants other than Purina Goat Chow (and he's too old for that stuff now).
Quote:Thanks Nanno! I had no idea Cuzco was that wild when you got him, so this gives me hope!... He's supposedly three months, but he's tiny, or at least I think he is. I think he's not going to get to pack goat size... 

The shaggy goat I bought a couple of years ago had had his horns banded at some point.

Oh, there's definitely hope! You'll win him round in no time. I don't think you need to worry about him being stunted at this age. His genetics will determine how big he gets, and as long as you feed him right he'll grow as big as those genetics allow. Don't worry too much if he grows up smaller than average packgoat size. It's the size of the heart that counts most.

Your shaggy goat has some nice big horns for having them banded! I guess they didn't do that job quite right!
(05-03-2016, 11:45 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: [ -> ]Know what I do with baby goats to bond them to people?  I make them sleep on my bed for a few hours each night for a week.  Or camp out  back and make them stay on the sleeping bag.  Nothing promotes trust in a little critter better than that.  Its some kind of natural brain-programming hack.  The trick is to get them OUT once they wake up so they don't pee on ya.  So far I've been 100% successful.

Not sure I can get myself to put him in my sleeping bag. It's still too cold here too... Maybe I can try it sometime Smile
Hello All
It has been eventful here.
I had my first "Goat" injury.
News from here:
Sam got one of his Scurs caught under the bail of a feed bucket today being a feed pig.
It ripped off, I know that happens, no major bleeding and he did it to himself.
Also happens to be the one that I was worried about being long enough to maybe start digging into his neck. No worries now.
He has another one on the other side, maybe I can set up a similar situation. Smile to get rid of the other one too.
Pete has one too that was taken off when we got him at Prepper Camp last September but we used a stock to hold him when it was "removed" just like when we gelded Sam in the same Stock/ milking stand with a head gate.
Fuzzy did fine off lead all day today, and I even left them loose when I made a parts run for a couple hours, All were resting in the shade of BC1 when I drove back in with the truck. They I think they have decided that Base Camp 1 is home base that they need to stay close to. :Smile Granted they will "Range" into the woods around BC1 but as soon as they hear activity around camp they are back to check on what is going on. They are Nosy critters. I'll bet they gossip too.:

Happy Trails
hihobaron Fuzzy, Pete and Sam
Hello All
Fuzzy is doing good enough in his "Socialization" To go up to a total stranger for a pet and scratch and then chew on his jacket edge for more pet and scratch time. Smile Happened to be our Land Lord checking some wash out damage.
From little squirmy wild kid to suck up in 10 days. I must be doing something right.???
Land Lord was impressed how friendly the boy's were and he is not what I would call a "Animal" person.
Of course the big boy's were there too for their share of pet and scratch time too. No Treats involved.
Fuzzy has started jumping up on me when I feed, NOT Permitted. I just kick his hind legs out from under him.
Boom, he is on the ground with a look like" How Did I get here"??
Pete and Sam got their CD/T boosters and Fuzzy got his second CD/T, 2 ml/cc SubQ  each and not a problem to give.
Of course they had their heads in a feed bucket when I gave them the shots.
Show these boy's a feed bucket and they have a one track mind. Smile))
Happy Trails
hihobaron Fuzzy,Pete and Sam
Well, I took the cute kid back to where I got it. He was just too much work for me to tame down. I didn't have the time that he needed, and lesson learned - no more wild ones for me. I'm a bit sad, he was so beautiful. But she gave me this one instead - he's much bigger, and although he hasn't really been handled either, he's like night and day compared to the other one. Friendly, comes up to you, follows you, cries for you. He has the same dad as the other one, so he's 1/2 Alpine, 1/4 Nubian and 1/4 Boer. I prefer more Alpine, but it is what it is. Sadly I now have to leave for two weeks so all of his socialization will be put on hold. But he's naturally friendly so it shouldn't be too bad. Wish my life wasn't so crazy!! He'll know the neighbor better than me by the time I get back.
Name Ideas:

Spartan
Durangoat
Dakota Da Goata
Santiagoat
Bacon (Sir Francis)
Napoleon Pullacart
Buckthorn
Leonardo DiCapricorn
Gilbert Goatfried
Sorry to hear the other little guy didn't work out Saltlick. This one has very pretty markings.

I agree with Charlie Horse about cuddling up to the young new goat overnight to promote bonding. Koby was extremely frightened when I first got him at 7 months old. First time away from his ma and friends, first time in the car (3 hour trip) and new surroundings at the other end. I stayed in the stable with him the first couple of nights and spent most of those first few days with him. Within about 36 hours he was completely bonded to me and saw me as his security and friend. Followed me everywhere. Now at 20 months old, when I lie down in the paddock he will immediately lie down next to me, right up against me as if he can't get close enough and will start ruminating - even though he is now assimilated into the rest of the herd.
Hello Saltlick
You made the right choice for your situation. Changing out goats.
I got extremely lucky with Pete and Sam already being socialized and people friendly. Due to breeders handling.
Fuzzy has settled in very well but with Saanen X Alpine blood and a good breed reputation from both sides of the family as being People Goats, I got lucky again. Smile He is turning into a pest but one that will have manners.!!!!! And Horns.
BTY: Fuzzy has claimed my recliner deck chair and tried to get me out of it yesterday when I was using it.
No Go Buddy!! He can use it, but not when I am in it. Smile That is what the goat Bench is for. Nap Time !!!!

===========================

From my horse breeding background:
Most all of my filly's would start out nice personality's, about 2 weeks old they would turn anti-social with people.
That would go on for for about 2 weeks, then they would go back to being suck ups.
My Colts on the other hand were fine from the start and stayed that way even as their "Family Jewels" developed.
==================================
End point:
From What I know of having a good Pack Goat. (Not Much)
You have to have a goat with a good disposition, Person Oriented, Will to work, and working conformation.
Note: Not necessarily "Show Ring" conformation.
Granted all of the above is hard to tell in a young buckling.
I again state I have been very Lucky with the boy's I have got. All of us here are learning everyday.!!!!!
===============================
As to your trip and the neighbor taking  care of the new goat, you are right he (goat)will be bonded when you get back. Then you will have to get more goats. Smile
================================
To DownUnder Gal
RE: Rumination with your goats. Smile
Mine do it to, Except here it is called Chewing The Cud. Smile
I settle in outside on the deck and the boy's come in from brush work, They free range most all day, paw up a spot to lay, Flop down and start chewing their cud, even Fuzzy has picked up the habit from his Uncles at 3 months of age, even if he wants my deck chair. Then we get into Nap time. Smile
[attachment=2559]

Happy Trails
(05-07-2016, 09:47 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: [ -> ]Name Ideas:

Spartan
Durangoat
Dakota Da Goata
Santiagoat
Bacon (Sir Francis)
Napoleon Pullacart
Buckthorn
Leonardo DiCapricorn
Gilbert Goatfried

From hihobaron
Double Shot
Shot Gun
Second Time Around ( TB Race Horse name BTY) Barn name was "Timer"
Goat Roast.
Spot
Goat, Goat ( My call name for all the goat boys to come into camp) Look out for the stamped of 3 now. Smile
Happy Trails