Pack Goat Central

Full Version: What did you do today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello ALL
I have a question for ya'll up in the Kennewick WA area.
I am looking for a "Summer Job" with one of the company's that uses goats for brush control.
Talked today with "We Rent Goats" in Idaho, No luck
But they referred me to a Prescriptive Livestock in Kennewick WA area , Ray Holes.
Said he runs multiple contracts, and has close to 2500 brush goats he leases out on seasonal/ contract basis.
Any one here know anything about the operation/owner? Let me know either in the open or by PM.
I was told he brings in Peruvian herders on green cards to manage the goats but might need somebody on sites that can speak good English, do medical work and PR. I also am experienced outdoors man and camper.
No hotel needed Smile I'll take a good tent and camp close to the goats any day.
Happy Trails
hihobaron Pete and Sam
Thats my red neck of the woods and I have never heard of him. But I dont get out much Smile
Hello Dave
Thanks for the info
hihobaron
Hello All you Western Goaters
I had a call today From Ray Holes today:!!!

RE: Summer Job herding brush goats.

Background:
================================

Business Description
Ray E Holes, which also operates under the name Lazy H Livestock, is located in Grangeville, Idaho. This organization primarily operates in the Forestry Services business / industry within the Forestry sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 10 years. Ray E Holes is estimated to generate $170,000 in annual revenues, and employs approximately 7 people at this single location. Main Ranch location is Grangerville ID 83530
=======================================

Question for ya'll in Idaho ho,ho Smile
Anyone know of the operation he runs?
Contracts out large herds of brush goats to Forest Service for under story control as help to control forest fires.
Something I did on a grant base in CA. a few years ago. only 25 head of goats though.

Happy Trails
More Research to do
hihobaron Peat and Sam
Today we got a couple feet of sopping wet, cement-like snow. It started as a heavy drizzle last night so I quickly fashioned a couple of makeshift blankets out of some fleece for Rambo and Rocky. The little guys have no mama to curl up with, and Delilah won't let them stay with her kids in the warmer big shed. They have to use one of the little dog igloos, and they also don't have enough fur for this climate. They came from Pueblo West, which is substantially warmer than here near the mountains. So they got jammies to sleep in. I'll post a picture tomorrow if any of them came out.

Delilah has been a terror about letting other goats into "her" shed. None of my goats are mean to babies, but that doesn't matter to Delilah. She chases everyone out, including the Nubian kids and her own sister. There have been times when she's trampled her own kids in her zeal to kick someone else out. As the weather kicked into high gear this morning I decided I'd had enough of her antics. The dog igloos were filling with snow drifts despite facing away from the wind, and even dominant Petunia and mean little Nubbin were grudgingly sharing their shed with poor, soaking wet Jezebel on a limited basis. There was plenty of room and uneaten hay in Delilah's shed so I tied her to the back where she could no longer guard the door or rampage around. She spent a lot of time sulking and growling but there was nothing she could do about Jezebel eating the hay or the bucklings playing with her kids and snuggling with them. I think it helped her attitude because after I untied her this afternoon she was much more subdued and sharing of her space. I like protective mamas, but Delilah has been a little ridiculous, and there's simply no reason for her to chase the bucklings away. They're not remotely a threat, and they're not trying to nurse on her either.
(04-14-2016, 12:28 PM)hihobaron Wrote: [ -> ]Hello ALL
I am looking for a "Summer Job" with one of the company's that uses goats for brush control.
But they referred me to a Prescriptive Livestock in Kennewick WA area , Ray Holes.
Said he runs multiple contracts, and has close to 2500 brush goats he leases out on seasonal/ contract basis.
Any one here know anything about the operation/owner? Let me know either in the open or by PM.
I was told he brings in Peruvian herders on green cards to manage the goats but might need somebody on sites that can speak good English, do medical work and PR. I also am experienced outdoors man and camper.
No hotel needed Smile I'll take a good tent and camp close to the goats any day.
Happy Trails
hihobaron Pete and Sam
Sorry Hihobaron, I don't know anything about that company.

What will you do with your boys while you're gone?  You sure don't want them co-mingling with brush goats!  Too much disease risk.
(04-16-2016, 10:11 PM)Taffy Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-14-2016, 12:28 PM)hihobaron Wrote: [ -> ]Hello ALL
Happy Trails
hihobaron Pete and Sam
Sorry Hihobaron, I don't know anything about that company.

What will you do with your boys while you're gone?  You sure don't want them co-mingling with brush goats!  Too much disease risk.

Hello Taffy I am in the "Early" Stage of interview and it is a "Summer Job" so none of my critters will go up there.
I have provisions in place here in SC that will take care of my critters. 
If it turns into something long term I and employer will work that out when the time comes.
I appreciate your concern.
The actual location of the main ranch is Grangerville, IA.
LOTS of NFS land around there they have contracts with for brush control.
Also prime Deer,Elk,Bear country. Several Guide outfits in the area.
NO mountain goats.
Closest big towns are Spokane WA to the west and Boise ID to the south
It could make for a "Interesting" Summer Job.
Who knows I might find a couple "Friendly" Brush goats and teach them to pack.Smile
Happy Trails
hihobaron Pete and Sam
Hello Nanno and All
I have a question for Ya'll.
Maybe somebody can help me figure out a habit Pete and Sam have.
When I settle down outside and they come into the deck from their brush duty.
Very often one or the other or in rotation will come up and start licking my left arm/hand , especially around a old scar on my arm, and the back of my hand were a bullet went through, but any place on the arm is fair game. 
They are not biting or offering to groom like a horse will when you scratch them (horse) good.
They initiate and I don't think it is a breeding thing.  I would kick their but big time if I though it was that.
They have good free choice loose goat mineral in the Red Neck Goat Shed all night long.
So I do not think they are looking for minerals (salt) on my skin.
I do not use sunscreen or bug repellent of any kind that might taste good.
Politician Repellent I would like to use. It's called a good long range rifle. Smile  
=======================================
Anyway: Is it just a herd "Greeting" how you doing thing to the boss goat(ME) or something else?
I just bump them off gently (For a goat) with a elbow and they stop and lay down close by.
================================================
90+ degrees here today so me and the boy's spent most of the afternoon napping in the shade around camp.
About the time I would start sleeping well in the hammock I would get woke up by one of the boy's licking my arm.
I just hope they never decide to try and jump in the hammock with me, it would not be fun. Smile
They do have plenty of fresh water around camp as well as in their shed.
Happy Trails 
hihobaron and the Licking goats
Not sure why they are licking you. They don't have to be deficient in salt to love it though, so that could be it. I once had a horse that would do the same thing to me. She wasn't grooming either. She would stand there and lick my hands and arms for as long as I'd let her. Sometimes it took a long time for the green stains to wash off!
Hello Nanno
Thanks
My Freisian mare is the same way Arm licks, back of neck slobbers, etc.
Especially right after getting a good drink of water. YUCK
Set a time for a chat in the "Chat Room" to talk about the details of the Prize award for this month.
I am on EST time here but stay up late 11-12 est
Happy Trails
hihobaron Pete and Sam