Pack Goat Central

Full Version: What did you do today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sounds like good days Smile I didnt think I had to work but got called in. Was done enough around noon to come home and visit with some buyers. The Toe's boys are now in Nampa ID. Took a little nap cause I am getting up at 3 am to do my chores so I can be in my float tube and on the water by 5:30.
Today wasn't the smoothest... This is going to be a bit of a rant, apologies!

People are moving back into the valley we've been alone in all winter... that's what this weekend really memorializes, the end of our beautiful serenity.

People are problems... our car that was parked down there, "in someone's way", and wasn't, had to be moved, which entailed a crappy springtime snowmobile ride and mile+ walk all before a cup of coffee.

Then all the yahoo's we're out on the mountain pass road (that we take to get to town) and that got rediculous... We made the trip to town quick.

On our way home, what was left of our snowmobile trail had gotten torn up by 4wheelers, who won't wave to us as we pass even though we made sure no one broke into their cabins all winter. Arrrg..

So because of the newly rutted road, Dash (one of our packers) fell out of the toboggan (he was ok).
Then once back... Here's the real doozy!!!... And it was scary!
Dash got bitten by one of our guests dogs. That F*r went directly for his jugular, all the while the owner was holding his collar!!! Luckily Dash has a real thick coat, and thick skin and was fine then too.
We used to peacefully introduce curious dogs to the boys... No more of that. No sir-y! Dogs can stay well the way away from me and my boys.

I really wanted to share that last part, but you asked what I did today....

The moral, don't trust any dog, it's not worth it. And maybe you already knew that, but my lesson was just learned... The hard way, but it could have been worse.
Oh my goodness! I'm so glad Dash is ok! What a horrible dog. What a horrible owner! I hope never to have an experience like that. I'd have a hard time not bashing that dog's head in with a stick (and then beating the owner with it for good measure!).
(05-24-2014, 05:16 PM)Nanno Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my goodness! I'm so glad Dash is ok! What a horrible dog. What a horrible owner! I hope never to have an experience like that. I'd have a hard time not bashing that dog's head in with a stick (and then beating the owner with it for good measure!).

It was definitely difficult to restrain our anger, but since they were guests to the lodge (and Dash was ok) we couldn't go off the deep end...

It was odd how submissive the dog seemed, and the owner had him by the collar for the introduction... And then it snapped. That was a first for us, and we've met tons of dogs. But not anymore!

Beware anything with fangs!
Shoulda called the sheriff. No, not likely he could done anything but it would be documented. So the next time it happens, see ya doggy.

The first thing we did when we bought this place, was went around to the neighbors, introduced ourselves and explained we raise goats. Then explained to them that if their dog ended up on our property and had no interest in the goaties, then it would be ran off. If it harassed the goats or show even the slightest level of aggression it would be shot without hesitation. If no damage to the goats was done, it would most likely end up in the trash can. If it did any damage to the goats, then they could expect to dig deep into their wallets.

We have been very fortunate in that the neighbors have all been good with good (although sometimes running free) dogs.
I understand how the serenity of a place can be disturbed by the arrival of people who are bringing their loud, city ways into the quiet of the woods. Bend used to have a quiet, outdoor personality but not any more! All the mills have closed and we are now a year round resort. Being in the outdoors to some of these people is a walk along the Deschutes River on the paved path looking at the cute little duckies swimming by. Of course we have plenty of the extreme outdoor enthusiasts who are over the top in a whole different direction. So nice to be able to get away on the trails to escape the looney bin Bend can be at times.
Today? I gave one of my boys some probiotics and let them all spend their first whole day out in the pasture. After a great battle and game of king of the hill on the stumps, they spent most of the day hanging out in the shade under the shed, just lying around chewing the cud. I burned some brush and scrap wood from the shed construction, and pulled weeds. Chased a big ole blacksnake away from the area near the chicken coop.
Having a cold beverage now and getting ready to grill some burgers!
Not just today but for the past 5 days I was in Boise, ID attending a big goat show. It was fun, exciting and successful! My buck, Simba, went Best in Show in one of the 3 shows he was in and Reserve Grand Champion in the other 2 shows! He now has 2 of the 3 legs needed to earn his championship! WooHoo! One of his daughters took 1st in one show and went Reserve Grand Champion at only 3 months old over numerous other aged does! She and her 2 sisters consistently placed in the top 4. Yesterday I weaned the doelings. They are not very happy with me and neither are their dams. I'll attach a picture of my buck and his daughter, Sageland SS Chocolate Eclair (Claire). I'm proud to be owned by all of my goats. Big Grin
What a stud! Smile Grants!!! Sounds like a lot of work but a lot of fun!
Way to go Taffy! Great looking goats!