Pack Goat Central

Full Version: What did you do today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Man it looks like you guys are getting nailed by more storms right now. Its just sitting on top of your area swirling around
Yep! It was sunny when we woke up this morning and the sodden grass glittered like jewels. But soon the sky turned dark purple and threw everything at us: Rain, hail, snow, wind, and there was even a tornado warning in our county. Right now it's quiet outside but the sky is still heavy and brooding. I'm currently lamenting the fact that we don't have a rainwater collection system that feeds into our cistern.

We're supposed to get more of this weather tonight and tomorrow. I'm guessing there will be snow on the ground before morning. But the rest of the week is supposed to be sunny and warm. I look forward to getting out there and mowing my pasture, which will probably be knee-deep by the time the ground dries!
Dang Nanno. I almost feel guilty for being in shorts and no shirt fishing today... almost Smile Even got a little burnt.
Don't worry, Dave--I'll get burnt sometime next week when I'm out there mowing the jungle that's bound to pop up after this current storm blows itself out.

I tell ya what... Old Man Winter is determined to have one last word on the matter! It was drizzling around 8:00 this evening when Phil and I brought the baby goats inside to watch a movie. When we went to put them back out at 10:30 it had snowed three inches and was driving down so we could hardly see our way to the goat pen. We were soaked in the five minutes it took us to walk to the gate and back. Boy am I glad I'm not on the road tonight!
I have to tell you what happened today. It was so funny. I was sitting in a chair cuddling one of the kids. Joules and Fuzzy were out grazing in the small field by the goat barn. All of a sudden Fuzzy’s head came up and she was intently looking at a place on the ground. Then Joules walked over and was walking toward where Fuzzy was looking then jumped back. Both does walked forward then backed away again. It was obvious something was in the grass. I was assuming it was a bull snake and I’d have to move it. As I walked up to where they were they both backed up a little to let me “go first.” I could hear a screaming noise. I knew that noise. I had to move the grasses around pretty good to locate where it was coming from. It was a baby cottontail nest in a small hole in the ground! Evidently Fuzzy had stepped on or too near the nest and the babies were screaming. I decided I better mark the spot so I wouldn’t step on it in the future. As I turned around to walk toward the goat barn there was Mommy Bunny! She’d obviously heard the screaming and came running in. I got a large rock and set it by the dirt patch that’s next to the hole. The dirt patch is pretty small and I’m guessing she used some grass from it to help make the nest. Later on Joules was back over there looking at the spot. I don’t know if the babies were making noise, Mommy Bunny was there or she just wanted another look. It was a fun thing to see them reacting the way they did. This will be clutch #2 for Mommy Bunny.

[attachment=1426]

The other thing that was pretty cute today was the kids all trying to fit under the footstool I sit on in the pen. They were actually able to cram in on top of each other!

[attachment=1427]
Aw, the are so cute under that stool! They won't fit under there for long!

You know what Fuzzy and Joules were saying... "You squooey wabbit!"
Can't believe it! Kiwa and Kenai are a month old already. As soon as our gray, rainy skies let up I'll get some more pics posted. My full Alpine doe, Trouble, is due in the next week. Her babies are full Alpine and I can hardly wait to see them-should be some color there!
Our Central Oregon Goat Association (COGA) is having our yearly jamboree this Saturday. All proceeds go for scholarships for young people in the 4-H goat program in the tri-county area. I'm teaching the pack goat 101 class. Last year it was one of the best attended classes of the day. Unfortunately we're supposed to have a good chance of thunderstorms that day.
I can't believe how much rain we're getting this month. I feel like I should maybe start looking into plans for building an ark because at this rate it won't be long before we float away! I don't have a rain gauge, but the goat water tubs were 2-3 inches below the top the other night, and by next morning they were overflowing. A friend in Colorado City said they've gotten seven inches in just this past week alone, and I think we've had more rain than they have! We had a chilly, gloomy break today, but it started raining again about two hours ago. It's supposed to keep raining through tomorrow night. Looks like we're making up for all those years of drought at once!
This morning one of my horses, Dutchess, had to be put down. For the last several days she's been colic-ing (She's the only one that ever really does that) I figured it was her usual 3 day gamboo that always passes without issue. It usually starts on days when the snow first flies and they don't drink, but its been so rainy lately that I think in this case, who wants to drink in thick mud and pouring rain. My feet are still sore from all the walking I was doing with her. She seeemed to be popping back, but last night I took her in to the vet to get the usual proceedures. This morning while at the vet she took a turn for the worse. You know how it goes with horses and colic. Could have been an entrolith stone or something. She was not considered a good candidate for surgery. Who knows, but it was one of those cases where the horse's condition nose-dives and the pain really comes on. She was 22. She was friendly and calm, if a little low on personality. Now Mare-ilyn is queen and not the kind ruler that Dutchess was. She'll be fondly remembered.

[Image: dutchess_1.jpg]

[Image: dutchess_2.jpg]

[Image: dutchess_3.jpg]

[Image: dutchess_4.jpg]
Sorry for your loss Charlie Horse. I have also been through that with horse I grew up with, and miss them. She was a gorgeous paint, I am glad you have all those fond memories of her.