Pack Goat Central

Full Version: What did you do today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pac-Man is two years old and growing like a weed. I think a year from now he'll be as big or bigger than Cuzco if he keeps going at this rate. I've read that a goat can safely pull 1 1/2 times their weight. I wouldn't load them down that heavy except on level ground though. Pac-Man is probably about 160# right now. A lot of that is blubber, but he's a big, strong boy under all that padding. He's got really nice bone substance in his legs and his hooves are big and strong too. He's really built for pulling more than for carrying, and he does a great job at it.

We'll get some video of the boys doing their tricks and agility sometime when the weather is fine. We've recently started practicing on the back porch since the weather turned nice, but now the spring winds are starting up and it's hard to keep the jumps and stuff from blowing over.
Why do you feel Pac-Man is built more for pulling than packing?
Pac-Man would be fine for packing on day hikes or picnics, but not for long-distance backcountry treks involving multiple days, strenuous terrain, and heavy loads. First of all, he hates being out in the woods. He's afraid of water, bears, bugs, and being out of range of cell phone service. He tolerates all of these things because he's a good goat and he wants to please people, but anyone can see he's not comfortable in a wilderness setting.

His conformation is also not conducive to carrying heavy loads for long periods. He's plenty big and strong, but his back is wide and round with almost no withers. His shoulders roll when he walks, which makes it really hard to keep a saddle in place. He would probably be ok with a Sopris pack, but a wooden pack saddle would have to be custom made to fit his width, and after a long day it would probably start to rub from his side-to-side rolling. We'd likely also have trouble keeping the pack from creeping up toward his neck because his mutton withers would not keep it in place. A person could live with these problems if the goat loved being out on the trail, but Pac-Man has made it obvious that the woods are not his thing.

He's also a little more straight-hocked and heavier in the body than a packgoat should be. This makes him less nimble and unable to climb or jump over larger obstacles. Even Cuzco, old as he is, can still jump higher than Pac-Man. While Cuzco jumped over fallen logs last fall on our "goat vacation," Pac-Man did everything he could to find a way around. He was capable of getting over if he had to, but it was not his first choice. I don't feel it has anything to do with his attitude--he wants to do what we ask of him--but he's simply not athletic. This is one reason I'm skeptical of the idea that "bigger is better" when it comes to packgoats. Pac-Man looks like a workhorse, but he moves like one too.

I really wish Pac-Man and Nubbin's doelings had survived. Pac-Man may not be an ideal packgoat type, but he (and his son Snickers) are by far the most "dairy" type goats in my herd. I have a feeling Pac-Man's daughters would have had beautiful udders, been heavy producers, and easy keepers--just what one wants in a dairy goat. Oh well. In any case, Pac-Man's size, strength, and gentle, willing attitude make him an ideal harness goat. His flashy color also makes him super attractive for parties and parades.
I found out I'm going to be a Granny in October to a granddaughter! This will be my first grandchild and my 89 year old mother's first great grandchild! We're all VERY excited!
Congratulations, Taffy! Smile
Congrats Taffy! That has to be a fun stage in life Smile I have spent the last two days moving into our new home. It has been so exciting and I am kicking around different plans and ideas how to build all the fences, barn, fruit trees, and garden. I get to wake up every morning and look down on the river basin and see all the steam rising on the yakima river as it snakes through the valley. I'm in heavenSmile
Today was my first full day off in 3 weeks. I didn't know what to do with myself so I hung out with the critters. It was 72 degrees, gorgeous! I took the new goater babies in to Sportsmans for a little socializing. They were such a hit being pushed around in the shopping cart. Got in some good promo for pack goats too. They did really good until they got worn out. Then I pushed two little sleepy lumps back out to the truck. It looks like my Alpine doe is ahead of the kidding schedule too. Can't wait for her to kid. Full Alpine, could be colorful! Love spring!
Phil and I just got back from a relaxing pilgrimage to Roswell, NM today.
[attachment=1307]

On the way down we hung out in Santa Rosa and swam in the Blue Hole, pretended to drive an army tank, looked at a Route 66 car museum, and met an 8" centipede in our motel room.

We also spent a day at Carlsbad Caverns. It was big. The park ranger who took us on the fancy Lower Cave tour was like Barney Fife reincarnated (not in looks, but in attitude). We made fun of him for two days solid after that tour.

We spent most of our time in Roswell doing the whole alien tourist thing. It was loads of fun. Makes ya wonder. We also saw a really cool, dusty old Billy the Kid museum in Fort Sumner on the way home today.

When we got home this evening the goats went berserk. Finn was so excited he jumped into the truck bed with the tailgate up. Once he did it, he had to do it again... and again... and again. Sputnik tried imitating Finn by doing a flying leap at the truck from next to the tire. (Finn was using the step below the tailgate as a launchpad to get over, but Sputnik apparently missed this detail.) He ricocheted off the side instead and everyone laughed at him. The only thing he injured was his pride. Pac-Man and Snickers as usual just wanted us to pet them.

Delilah went generally bonkers, and Petunia kept gazing at me and begging me to rub her (she usually couldn't care less). Now she won't stop screaming at me to come out and milk her even though she already got milked this morning. Nubbin is starting to look very "ripe". She's due in two weeks and looking good. Jezebel is pretty scruffy and needs a good brushing, but she acted pretty stand-offish when I tried to get near her. Perhaps she's a little like Cuzco who, as is custom, was mad at us for abandoning him and kept walking away when I tried to scratch his back. Back before we blocked off the porch, Cuzco would climb the steps and leave a "present" for us on the door mat any time we left overnight. If anyone knows how to carry a chip on his shoulder, it's Cuzco! Tongue
Oh, and as is usual for vacations, I ate WAAAYYY too much on this trip!
[attachment=1308]
Interesting destination. Sounds like it was pretty interesting.

Your Barney Fife thing reminded me of something when I was in Basic Training. There was this guy that was giving the speech to us when we were watching an artillery demonstration etc. This man was a black Rodney Dangerfield. I mean, google eyes, the whole look, and the attitude. Perfect. Except he was black. Another one was in an army training camp near San Francisco out in the hills the NCO in charge was the spittin' image of Gomer Pyle's drill sergeant Carter, and even had the same name, same uniform more or less with the hat and everything, except it was the Army instead of the Marines.