Pack Goat Central

Full Version: What did you do today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here I sit, in my motel, over 100 miles away from my goats (oh yeah - and my family, too). Woe is me. I've been called to report for federal jury duty in Yakima, WA. There's a federal court in Richland, WA which is only 25 miles from home but no - they have me reporting in Yakima. How am I going to live without my goats if they choose me to serve on a jury tomorrow?!
If you have kids at home, who depend on you to nurture them, they won't require you to serve on the jury. If however your goats are all grown you may have to serve.
This is unbelievable! What are the odds?! All of us are sitting in the prospective jury box being asked questions by the judge. One of the questions is clubs we're affiliated with and another question is hobbies. Of course I mentioned NAPgA and CBPC along with goatpacking. When we were let out for a break one of the other prospective jurors came up to me and told me she and her family are just getting into goat packing. They have 10 wethers of varying ages they have purchased during the past 2 years from Zoe Barr! What are the odds?! She wasn't chosen for the jury, I was. I gave her my business card and we'll be getting in touch. It is truly is a small world!
Wow! Maybe it was "meant to be"! Did you tell her about PGC?

I'm sorry you have to do jury duty so far from home. Sad

So... what did I do today? Well, I got nailed by an old lady going 55 mph who didn't even see my truck and trailer parked in the middle of the highway while we waited for the traffic to clear so I could make a left turn into the bank. I didn't see her coming. I was just sitting there with my blinker on when, "BAM!!!!" She saw me so late that she didn't even hit her brakes until about 20-30 feet from hitting my trailer. Thankfully it was my water trailer and not my horse trailer, and thank goodness it didn't have water in it yet! If that thing had been loaded, this accident might have ended very differently. As it was, this lady's car was totaled and my trailer is probably totaled (the entire hitch definitely is!), and the back bumper and hitch on my truck are toast. But I'm fine and the old lady was ok. She had a bloody lip and chest pains from smacking the airbag, but thank goodness she had an airbag! She'd have been dead without it.

According to the guy driving behind her, the back of my trailer went straight up in the air and looked like it was going to come crashing down on top of her car. Fortunately the hitch broke and the trailer bolted forward about 15 feet while her car veered off to the side of the road. She didn't even know she hit my trailer. She saw it sitting there in the road by itself and she asked where it came from. She thought she'd hit the back of my truck. I'm thinking it's probably time she stopped driving herself around. She's lucky she didn't get herself killed, and I'm so glad I wasn't pulling horses or goats or even a load of water behind me! What a day!
WOW now that is a happening. I'm like the Russians and I always have a dash cam running when I drive. It also doubles as a goat cam on hikes. I'm sure it'd have been a wild video if you or the guy behind you had caught it. So without your water trailer you guys will be melting snow or something for a while. Be sure to strain out the goat raisins while they're still frozen.

We had an old lady fly through an off ramp and kill someone last week, and another one wrapped her car around a pole. These were like 85 year olds.

(03-16-2015, 07:00 PM)Nanno Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! Maybe it was "meant to be"! Did you tell her about PGC?

I'm sorry you have to do jury duty so far from home. Sad

Of course I told her about PGC! And NAPgA and the CBPC we are just starting up in my area. SO amazing out of all the people in the world to run into someone who is getting into goat packing!

Someone has to be on the jury. This is the 3rd time I've been a juror. It isn't much fun coming "home" to a motel room but I'll survive. Our case runs all week with Wednesday off and then we report back on Monday morning.

I am SO glad you are ok. I hope you don't end up with whiplash once the adrenaline, etc. wears off. A truck and/or trailer can be replaced - you, not so much!

Hugs, Nanno. That must have been scary.

So... what did I do today? Well, I got nailed by an old lady going 55 mph who didn't even see my truck and trailer parked in the middle of the highway while we waited for the traffic to clear so I could make a left turn into the bank. I didn't see her coming. I was just sitting there with my blinker on when, "BAM!!!!" She saw me so late that she didn't even hit her brakes until about 20-30 feet from hitting my trailer. Thankfully it was my water trailer and not my horse trailer, and thank goodness it didn't have water in it yet! If that thing had been loaded, this accident might have ended very differently. As it was, this lady's car was totaled and my trailer is probably totaled (the entire hitch definitely is!), and the back bumper and hitch on my truck are toast. But I'm fine and the old lady was ok. She had a bloody lip and chest pains from smacking the airbag, but thank goodness she had an airbag! She'd have been dead without it.

According to the guy driving behind her, the back of my trailer went straight up in the air and looked like it was going to come crashing down on top of her car. Fortunately the hitch broke and the trailer bolted forward about 15 feet while her car veered off to the side of the road. She didn't even know she hit my trailer. She saw it sitting there in the road by itself and she asked where it came from. She thought she'd hit the back of my truck. I'm thinking it's probably time she stopped driving herself around. She's lucky she didn't get herself killed, and I'm so glad I wasn't pulling horses or goats or even a load of water behind me! What a day!
A dash cam in my truck wouldn't have been very exciting. I was looking out the front and all I saw was a little leap forward. The main thing I noticed was the crashing noise. I got less of a jolt from this wreck than the ones I got when I drove in the demolition derby. My hitch took most of the impact. I would love to see a dash cam video from the guy following the lady's Taurus, though!

When I talked to him he said, "I was watching and I was thinking, 'Man, she doesn't even see that truck... she's not slowing down... she's not gonna stop... this is gonna be bad!'"

Apparently he was already pulling over before she hit me because he knew it was going to be a wreck.

Reminds me of the young man who said, "Gee, I hope when I die, I go peacefully to sleep like my grandpa... not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car." Wink

Since my truck is fine other than the hitch, and my water tank was not broken, I just took the tank off the trailer and plopped it in the bed of the truck. My suspension doesn't appreciate it, but it'll just have to put up with the extra work until I can get a trailer worked out. Hopefully it won't take long.

Also, I wanted to mention (since we were talking about it in this thread earlier, Charlie Horse), that the ATF dropped the proposed ban on .223 green tip ammo. Apparently the people spoke and the ATF backed down in the face of 80,000 letters, a coalition of Congressmen, and the outcry from police, who were angered that they were being wrongly used as an excuse to ban a popular rifle ammo. The ban was touted as necessary for "protecting police officers," but the police couldn't find a single instance of any officer anywhere being shot or even threatened by anyone wielding a handgun that takes .223 rounds. I'm glad the backlash was enough to beat back the ATF. That agency has been out of control for as long as I can remember, and they need to be reminded regularly and often who they actually work for.
Good to hear your are ok and that the goaties will still get their water Smile Crazy!
I'm still in Yakima on jury duty. I had an email from Mary, the gal I met the first day of reporting for jury duty. Tonight after I got out of court and she got home from work I drove the 13 minutes from my hotel to their farm. I met her husband, Bob, and their 10 goats. They are both awesome people and their goats are all going to be monsters! Some already are and they are only 2! Their pens/pasture are so nice I told them I wanted to be one of their goats. Tongue

(03-16-2015, 12:30 PM)Taffy Wrote: [ -> ]This is unbelievable! What are the odds?! All of us are sitting in the prospective jury box being asked questions by the judge. One of the questions is clubs we're affiliated with and another question is hobbies. Of course I mentioned NAPgA and CBPC along with goatpacking. When we were let out for a break one of the other prospective jurors came up to me and told me she and her family are just getting into goat packing. They have 10 wethers of varying ages they have purchased during the past 2 years from Zoe Barr! What are the odds?! She wasn't chosen for the jury, I was. I gave her my business card and we'll be getting in touch. It is truly is a small world!
It's been warm and the goats are still carrying their winter coats. Although they are making "snow goat angels" whenever they lie down. Fuzzy, my 8 year old Alpine doe, is due May 12th. Joules, my 3 year old mini Alpine, is due May 7th. Both are getting rather rotund and the heat has affected them more than the wethers and my buck. The other day Fuzzy was sprawled out in the shade looking miserable. Joules walked over by her and Fuzzy sat up and leaned her head on Joules' side. It was so endearing.

[attachment=1255]

[attachment=1256]