Pack Goat Central

Full Version: What did you do today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Keep checking on him constantly. Every 30 minutes. I had one bleed to death and one almost bleed to death and one did just fine. Thats not a good track record.

This is the part I really hate about pack goats. I really don't like to take them to get so messed up, but like you say, it'll make for a better life.
One of the reasons I like the burdizzo Smile

Well not today but yesterday, drew blood on all 35 animals for their annual CAE testing. Not really a necessity anymore but having the results in hand gives buyers confidence they are bringing home a clean goatie Smile Even did the stinky breeding bucks cause they will be going up for sale as we are picking up a new buckling in a couple of weeks!
I hope Finn is doing well this morning. Give him a hug from me.
Finn is stiff and sore this morning but looks perky and cheerful. He's not too sore to chase the ladies. I let the goats out together most days as long as Lilly and Petunia aren't in heat. It turns out Delilah is showing signs of having cystic ovaries. For the last two weeks she's come into heat every few days, so I'm going to take care of that and then hopefully take her back up to the Nubian buck to get bred again for a mid-summer baby. I didn't want any late June babies, but July/early August kids could work out ok. I don't want her to go on with this problem, and I'd really like to have three does bred this year.

Charlie Horse, it sounds to me like you need a different procedure. Castrating shouldn't be that dangerous. I discussed the problem of bleeding out last year when we had Pac-Man done, and my vet said that this happens when a vet uses the same technique on goats that they use on dogs and horses--they crimp off the blood vessels instead of suturing them shut. My vet told me that this is very risky with goats because they have such large blood vessels that it's not uncommon for those crimps to reopen. He said whatever vet I use, always make sure he sutures off those blood vessels.

I sent our blood samples off to WADDL last week. Hopefully everyone is clean. The only one who didn't get blood drawn is Cuzco. His tests came back clean the last three times and I don't see the point of testing him any more at his age.
So glad to hear Finn is doing well. Chasing the ladies will keep his mind off of his other end. Tongue
I'm happy to report that Finn is doing quite well now. He felt fit enough this morning to hook his horns under Sputnik and toss him across the yard (poor Sputnik!). We had a foot of heavy, wet snow last night, and Finn had no problem bounding and trotting through it by this evening. I'm quite pleased with the way this vet does surgery. The recovery time is remarkable!
Very happy to hear how well Finn is doing. Poor Sputnik.

We are enjoying sunny warm mid 60's weather. The hay fields are greening up, the robins have returned and the red-winged blackbirds are singing their spring song. I also had 2 adult cottontail rabbits in my goat pen last evening instead of the one that has been living in the haystack all winter. Love is in the air just in time for Valentine's Day!

We aren't done with frost and cooler weather yet but this respite is wonderful. I really don't miss the Colorado and Michigan snow!
We had a wonderful day today! The weather was gorgeous and we fired up one of the new pivots for the first time! No leaks and everything worked like it should. I thought this vertical cloud was interesting.
[attachment=1119]
Nice! Looks like a contrail that got blown into a cool pattern.
Beautiful February day. Went for a walk on a friends farm. Steam rising off the earth was neat to see this time of year. Found a nice set of 5 x 5 deer antlers. Can't get over the grass growing. That seems weird here in North Idaho in February.