Pack Goat Central

Full Version: What did you do today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know he is waayyyyy to skinny. He seems too intent on doing his job than eating though Undecided
My goodness, he is thin Sydney! He looks like a Saanen to me. Hopefully he can get some groceries on him after the breeding season is over!

We've enjoyed watching les affaires d'amour lately as various does have come in and out of heat. This morning it was Jezebel, and Finn was beside himself with desire. He kept stomping and making the funniest noises while Sputnik spent the day with the tip of his tongue hanging out.

Jezebel was a funny girl herself. She's two and a half years old (same age as Lilly) but has never been bred, so she doesn't quite know how to act around these boys. When Pac-Man first trotted after her she bolted in terror all the way across the pasture before he caught up to her near the house. She soon melted under Pac-Man's gentle wooing, quit running, and spent the rest of the day hanging around the buckling pen and teasing poor, frustrated Finn through the electric fence.

I didn't think Pac-Man would still be this bucky so long after he was wethered, but it's turned out to be a good thing. He is a true gentleman and treats all the girls like ladies. I hope Finn learns from his example. The girls adore Pac-Man even when they're not in heat. I don't have to worry that Jezebel and Delilah will get cold feet when we take them to get bred because Pac-Man treats them so kindly. I don't want a repeat of the experience we had when we first bred Lilly. She kept bolting in terror and we had to hold the poor, trembling little girl in place while she got bred. I hated that!

The other great thing about Pac-Man's bucky behavior is that it will help him lose weight! Pac-Man has been "Fat-Man" all summer and now he'll have a chance to burn that excess flesh off chasing skirts.
It won't be a fun job but you might worm him as well. I will go with saanen or an alpine cross, do saanens have the ridge down the back?
Some of these dairy goats tend toward the skinny side I want bigger bones than at least one of my best milkers has. We are thinking of breeding her to a kiko to see if we can get that skinny frame beefed up a little. Any thoughts anyone?
I have been wanting to see more kiko alpine crosses!
what would you think of an Alpine/Boer cross? That's what i've been thinking of trying too get....
Matt
If I'm not mistaken, Caroline Eddy and Dwite Sharpe cross Alpines and Boers in their packgoat breeding programs.
The goat we are thinking of breeding to a kiko is a lamancha. She also has some kind of chronic green snot nose, the vet told the previous owners it is the goat equivalent to acid reflux. We are thinking that kikos are supposed to have a better general health so maybe this condition would breed out of the line.
Duck Slayer, I have an 8 month old alpine/boer cross. He is an amazing boy and was a 100 lbs. at 5 months old. He's got good bone and solid frame and a great attitude. I really love this guy.
(10-16-2014, 11:28 PM)deschutes dawn Wrote: [ -> ]Duck Slayer, I have an 8 month old alpine/boer cross. He is an amazing boy and was a 100 lbs. at 5 months old. He's got good bone and solid frame and a great attitude. I really love this guy.

awesome you got a picture?
Matt
I'll get one and post it tomorrow.