Pack Goat Central

Full Version: Hello from Arkansas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My brother and I are looking into doing our first back country bow hunt for elk this next fall.  I had been researching different pack animals for back country hunting when I came upon a video of pack goats.  I must say, I have been pleasantly surprised by all I have learned thus far.  My wife and I live in the country, in south central Arkansas, along with our three kids.  We love to hunt and be outdoors.  In the last few years, I have been deer hunting along the Buffalo River and have absolutely loved it.  However, the terrain is rough and I have been having a harder time getting my harvest out the last couple of years.  Although, I know its nothing compared to what you folks in the west deal with.  Anyway, I am interested in learning all I can and possibly acquiring a couple of goats for packing to help me hunt here at home.  I'll be the first to admit, I don't yet know a lot about goats. We are sheep people.  My girls have been raising and showing sheep for a few years now.

Thanks for having me.
Well hello! I'm sorry it took me so long to "approve" your posts. I happen to be in Arkansas right now with my two packgoats hiking in the Buffalo River area near Ponca. I don't have Wi-Fi in the cabin so internet access is pretty spotty this week. Welcome to PackGoat Central. I hope you learn lots here!
welcome!

I think the first thing to learn is that goats are nothing like sheep. You will be in for a really big surprise :-) - think big, horned dogs (intelligence wise) with a wicked sense of humor.