Pack Goat Central

Full Version: 2016 Idaho Mule Deer - Pack Goat Hunt!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going too start this thread off by a recap of the last 2 1/2 years in preparation for this hunt, So back a few years ago I was lucky enough too bag a giant deer, 2 elk, on my own DIY style, the pack out hurt my already broke body, so I made the decision too get pack goats, easy too care for, easy too train, and they eat anything.

Fast forward too last fall, we took our 3 goats with us on my wife's Late Oct. elk hunt, they were not quite old enough too pack a full load but we wanted too get them out and get some experience, Mr. Bill (white multi color), Mr. Black (black one), and Mr. Buck (brown one), are our 3 goat's name's.

[Image: IMG_0147_zpswwe5nyro.jpg]

My daughter used Mr. Bill in the 2016 Canyon County Fair pack goat coarse and she got First Place in her division! I was really proud of her, She also used her (up coming) goat named Prince. She got 4th Place with Price.

[Image: IMG_0148_zps71wxpvba.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0149_zps9oy99cdo.jpg]

I also built a couple of 11lb. pannier cooler's too carry in my frozen food, extra water, and some milk! I added 1" layer of foam to all side's and cover too help extend my frozen food.
[Image: IMG_0176_zpshosojteq.jpg]

Fast forward too Aug. been training with the goat's all summer, I've been running when I get the chance, got everything loaded in the packs last night, minus food (replaced with 4 gallons of water too simulate the weight) - Mr. Bill packed our water 6 Gallons - Mr. Buck packed all my gear - Mr. Black packed frozen food and extra water(simulated), and we went for about a 2 mile walk. They did great, no mishaps at all. 

[Image: IMG_0198_zpso1rxbnbr.jpg]

Now I wait till Monday too leave and pack into a completely new area, i'm giving up my 2 point hunting and going out in a general unit for any deer. I hope to have a great time and too make this a yearly event, unless I draw a tag here.

Made a few Bacon, Potato, Egg, Cheese burrito's too take in with me the other day, I also have been saving left over's from dinner the last couple of weeks, no dehydrated food for this guy! and I bought a 9 cup percalater off of Amazon so I get my daily caffeine fix!

[Image: IMG_0197_zpsqr2d4njy.jpg]

T-minus 3 days......
Matt
Good luck Matt. Looks like nice weather rolling in next week.
How did your deer hunt go ?I am just curious I'm getting ready to go coues deer hunting in Arizona .I am new to pack goats
Hey, Duck-Slayer!  It does indeed sound like you got out with your goats! I think you ran into the Supervisor of the Payette National Forest the other day! He took a photo of your goats & posted about you on Facebook, on the McCall Trail Running page. Does this photo look familiar? 
Big Grin
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=3&theater
Awesome! Keep us posted!
(09-27-2016, 09:18 PM)Saph Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, Duck-Slayer!  It does indeed sound like you got out with your goats! I think you ran into the Supervisor of the Payette National Forest the other day! He took a photo of your goats & posted about you on Facebook, on the McCall Trail Running page. Does this photo look familiar? 
Big Grin
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=3&theater

That's funny! I do recognize those goats, they are mine :Smile
Matt
I did not find any bucks that were still in velvet and big enough that I wanted too harvest them. But it was a great trip and I love my pack goats, they did very well on my elk hunt!
Matt