Pack Goat Central

Full Version: lump on Schmidts side
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just noticed this on Schmidt today. Must have popped up over the last couple days because I trimmed hooves a couple days ago and didn't notice it. We hiked today and he seems to be in great spirit. Might be kinda hard to tell from the pic, but it is a dark bump. Looks like a blood blister?
Hi Dutch007, have you vaccinated him recently? It looks like an injection site abscess.
Thats not a injection site. A couple inches lower is a typical CL location. Although they can be any size, they are typically bigger then that. Worth keeping an eye on though. But if I had to guess, Id say there is probably a sliver in there. Do they eat from a wooden feeder by chance?
My yak used to leave lumps on the goats from time to time (upward sweeping horns are more effective). Just a blood blister. They went away. That one on your goat looks like it wants to pop-- The hair has fallen out. Generally harmless though.
(05-02-2016, 10:50 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: [ -> ]Thats not a injection site. 

Really?? Nearly all the goat injection site pictures show that as a location to give SQ shots. I give shots there pretty often. Are we doing it wrong?  

I'd have thought vaccination lump.
Thats front of shoulder. Typical site is behind the leg on the arm pit. Granted thats not a great area for goats who need to wear saddles. So could be a injection site.
In spring/summer I usually give shots front of shoulder to avoid saddle areas.