Hard vs. Soft Saddles
Hi Everyone,

I am new to goat-packing and have a question. In researching for a saddle to buy I have come across two choices. One is a soft saddle like the one linked here Soft Saddle and a typical hard saddle like the one linked here Hard Saddle

What are the pro's and con's for each? I plan on doing several day hikes and want my goats to enjoy the trip as much as myself. Thank you for your time, -- John
Basically, the soft saddle will warp more under heavier loads and you will therefore be restricted on how much your goats can carry comfortably.

How old/big are your goats?
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

(06-07-2014, 09:32 PM)Sanhestar Wrote: Basically, the soft saddle will warp more under heavier loads and you will therefore be restricted on how much your goats can carry comfortably.

How old/big are your goats?

Thanks for the reply Sanhestar:
I don't have any goats yet, just in the process of researching each area of the sport.
It just seemed to me that the "soft" saddle would still spread the weight over the same surface area of the back, while offering the custom fit feel every time for the animal. In talking with pack-horse users, that sport only offers the hard version....but that could be solely due to the larger weights. If 50 lbs is the most to be ever put on the animal, maybe only 40 of it being the panniers it seems from the surface a viable option. Has anyone had any experience with a soft saddle?
I have the Sopris soft saddle and I really like it, but I will say up front that I'm not a serious goatpacker and have not used it for anything super heavy on a long day (or week) of hiking. I believe Clay Zimmerman of High Uinta Pack Goats uses both types of saddles and would probably be able to give you a good comparison. His nickname here is The Goat Whisperer, but he's not been on too often. Your best bet might be to either email him or call him on the phone using the contact information on his website: http://www.highuintapackgoats.com/

One nice thing about the soft pack is that it will fit a wide variety of backs so you don't have to replace your packsaddle if you get a wider or narrower goat.
(06-08-2014, 10:06 AM)Nanno Wrote: I have the Sopris soft saddle and I really like it, but I will say up front that I'm not a serious goatpacker and have not used it for anything super heavy on a long day (or week) of hiking. I believe Clay Zimmerman of High Uinta Pack Goats uses both types of saddles and would probably be able to give you a good comparison. His nickname here is The Goat Whisperer, but he's not been on too often. Your best bet might be to either email him or call him on the phone using the contact information on his website: http://www.highuintapackgoats.com/

One nice thing about the soft pack is that it will fit a wide variety of backs so you don't have to replace your packsaddle if you get a wider or narrower goat.

Thank you Nanno,
If getting a rigid saddle, are the common wood cross bucks as good as any? Now wanting to waste money on high tech aluminum and composite if not needed.
For short trips I have a large dog pack that works on the yearlings for training and the adults for day trips. Longer trips or meat packing I use wood crossbucks and panniers. I wish I had one of the sopris packs to use but that's on down the road a ways!

BTW, John, the pictures of the boys are in classified.
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]
(06-08-2014, 06:52 PM)ReddingJohn Wrote: If getting a rigid saddle, are the common wood cross bucks as good as any? Now wanting to waste money on high tech aluminum and composite if not needed.

the wood saddles are good quality but they have a "final" design. Meaning, if they won't fit your goat for whatever reason, you can't use them. The aluminium saddle from Northwest is adjustable to almost every shape of goat.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

The weight distribution of a soft saddle can be quite different compared to a hard frame. Goats have very tall spines along their back. The soft saddle if it is somewhat like a dog pack can put too much pressure on the spine bones. The harder frames are often made with clearence to allow for these this tall spine. It puts pressure on the ribs just on either side of the spine. It has been said numerous times over the years on these forums that pressure on the spine bones is very bad for the goat
The Sopris soft saddle he's talking about does not put any pressure on the spine. It's nothing like a dog pack. It has two stiff (but not rigid) load-bearing panels that sit on either side of the spine in the same place as a normal wooden saddle sits. The panels flex enough to conform to the back but are stiff enough to bear weight without collapsing in the middle.
(06-09-2014, 11:21 AM)Nanno Wrote: The Sopris soft saddle he's talking about does not put any pressure on the spine. It's nothing like a dog pack. It has two stiff (but not rigid) load-bearing panels that sit on either side of the spine in the same place as a normal wooden saddle sits. The panels flex enough to conform to the back but are stiff enough to bear weight without collapsing in the middle.

Nanno,

With your experience do the soft saddles provide enough support for 50 lb panniers?