What did you do today?
I DID wear my new hat when I wasn't in the saddle! I got quite a few compliments on it too. Wink
My horses would flunk that course big time.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
On Saturday 5 of us hiked with 5 goats along the Snake River at the Big Flat Habitat Management Unit about 12 miles east of Pasco, WA.  It’s managed by the Corps of Engineers.  The area we hiked is an island on the Snake River.  A causeway has been built to the island so the Corps can farm areas for wildlife.

The trails are a total of 7 miles in length.  We hiked a little over 5 miles.  It’s been in the 3-digit temps for so long we haven’t been able to get out to hike much.  The 5 miles was plenty.

Eldon & Debbi Otta brought their goats, Pac-Man and Rudy.  I brought Bourbon and Jethro.  We introduced Jessica Benson, her daughter Elise and Elise’s Mini Alpine doe, Honeybun, to hiking with goats.  Jessica and Elise are hooked!

Jessica was going to carry a soft sided ice chest on the hike.  I told her Bourbon would be happy to carry their stuff.  She thought it might be too heavy for Bourbon.  I told her he wouldn’t even know he was carrying the weight of their sandwiches, snacks and water!

I recently purchased one of the Mark Warnke Kid Trainer Saddles sold by Bantam Tack (Matt Lyon) for my Mini Alpine doe to wear on hikes.  We saddled up Honeybun and away we went!  Although designed for young standard size breeds of goats, the saddle is a perfect fit for smaller goats like the Mini breeds and the Nigerian Dwarf!  I love the ease of use of this saddle and the adjustability of the straps.

Since it was the first time we’d been out together this summer we weren’t sure how the goats would do as a “herd” on the trail.  They were fine.  Honeybun was a little intimidated by the larger goats at first but by the end of the hike she actually challenged Pac-Man – the largest goat!  Rearing up on her hind legs and pushing on him.  Pac-Man just looked at her and chuckled (if goats can chuckle!).

The areas where the Corps farms are irrigated.  The rest of the island is dry with native desert vegetation.  We hiked down to the river where Elise collected some small clam shells from the water to take home.  She was just going to carry them along on the hike.  We told her to put them in Honeybun’s pack.  That opened a while new world for collecting things!

Further along the trail we found a patch of milkweed.  Elise had a ball throwing the seeds and silk into the air!  It was floating everywhere!  Jessica loves seeds of all types so put a milkweed pod in Honeybun’s pannier to take home.  Since milkweed pant can be toxic to goats we made sure they didn’t eat any of it.

Shade was at a premium throughout the hike.  We found a pretty little glade where we sat and ate our lunch.  By this time it was beginning to get warm.  None of us wanted to leave the shade!  We decided to head back to the vehicles.

On the way back Eldon discovered a couple of wild plum trees!  Boy, do they have HUGE thorns!  Eldon and Debbi picked a couple to try.  They were ripe!  The skin was tart but the flesh of the plum was super sweet.  Yum!  A double handful of plums were added to Honeybun’s pannier!

We also saw wild honeysuckle which Elise plucked and sucked on for the sugary nectar.  There were thickets of Russian Olive trees whose berries are not edible and they have huge thorns.  We also found a walnut tree which was large enough to give us some shade.

By the time we got back to the vehicles it was in the mid 90’s.  The goats enjoyed their buckets of water while we put the gear away.  Everyone loaded up and headed home.  A good time was had by all!

.jpg   Elise on log at Big Flat.jpg (Size: 99.51 KB / Downloads: 95)

.jpg   Elise and wild plums.jpg (Size: 120.95 KB / Downloads: 95)
Goatberries Happen!
Oh how fun!! Thanks for sharing!
Its awesome that you guys are a sort of local hiking club. I've done that here and its a whole different kind of fun. I remember the first time I headed out solo with 5 goats and I wondered if I could handle them all-- Turned out great though and now thats my normal mode of hiking. I think I can get a few of the locals into pack goats since everyone seems interested. Might be a local club around here eventually.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
My 23 month old granddaughter has developed a love of goats.  This makes her Granny VERY happy!  Although she wants to spend time with all of the goats her favorite one is Little Man.  She loves feeding animal crackers to him and he follows her around because she has treats!

Come Little Man!

.jpg   Haven and Little Man sm.jpg (Size: 68.16 KB / Downloads: 66)

Here's a treat Little Man!

.jpg   Haven feeding Little Man a treat sm.jpg (Size: 61.11 KB / Downloads: 65)

The treat are all gone Little Man!

.jpg   Haven telling Little Man the treats are gone sm.jpg (Size: 56.38 KB / Downloads: 65)
Goatberries Happen!
Aw, that's precious! Thank you so much for sharing!
I've been busy this past week planning for a Knight's Tournament at my saddle club. I designed and built an obstacle course and made it a medieval theme which was a lot of fun. I wish I'd gotten more pictures! 

Our noble knights had to brave a "haunted forest", shoot the guardian of the moat, cross a the drawbridge, raise the portcullis, vanquish two knights in shining armor with a plastic ball and chain mace, weave through the magic corridors, open the dungeon door, slay the dragon with a lance or battleaxe, and rescue the princess. 

I especially love the cowboy riding off into the sunset with our "princess." She's a blow-up doll in a dress and wig, so we got a bit of ribald teasing (she's not THAT kind of blow-up doll, but she can't help the resemblance). It was a really fun course, but unfortunately despite all my planning and a lot of advertising our turnout was dismal. The one good thing about that is that since almost no one got to see the course, it means I can use it again soon!
You come up with so many fun ideas!
Goatberries Happen!
We're putting up 4th cutting hay.  Late this afternoon I let the goats out so they could browse.  Most of the goats behaved.  Bourbon and Jethro had other ideas.  They decided eating the hay straight from the baler was better than browsing! 

Little Man decided to jump on an empty tank the guys laid down.  It rolled and he thought that was great fun!  He stood on it and rolled it back and forth for a good 5 minutes!

Goatberries Happen!