Mystery-Virus/Rickettsial Infection/Deficiencies?
It is with a broken heart I share that I laid Yukon to rest this afternoon.

His personality picked up yesterday, but his body did not. He became suddenly pale, or I should say white in his eye lids, unexplained acute anemia so I asked a favor and was able to get a CBC and a chemistry. 9 days ago his bw was mostly within normal limits but yesterday his CBC showed extreme anemia, and renal failure. We hooked him up to IV fluids right away and started pushing it through but after I was able to get a couple vets to review his bloodwork they said if by miracle he survived his kidneys wouldn't recover to full function and he would always need supportive care. I didn't want him to waste away to the point he lost his dignity and he had been fighting so hard for so many days.

At this point I've had 6 doctors review my case, 4 of them physically examined my goats and I still have no answers. I'm waiting for the results of the viral panel we sent out and we drew extra blood from Yukon this morning to do a vector panel. Idea's that were mentioned were anaplasmosis, leptospirosis, and some virus we may never identify. I'm trying to not feel guilt but it's possible that the Banamine may have sent Yukon's kidneys in a downward spiral. The vet thinks he had some underlying conditions that made him tolerate it less than the rest of the sick goats. It was also confirmed that for an unknown reason he had some abnormal lung fibrosis mostly on the right side. To back up the genetic predisposition and underlying conditions, his full sister who I was hoping to breed if I lost him also has an enlarged kidney that luckily isn't painful yet. 

I was able to get blood work done on all my yearlings and the 2 that never showed symptoms have mostly normal CBC and Chemistry's. Huck and Yukon who got the most sick have elevated kidney values, and are really acutely anemic. The two does that were ill are mostly within normal values except almost anemic. They were treated with the same exact drugs and frequency of the boys. When the results are in I will make sure to let you guys know. 

Yukon was so deeply special to me. I never mean to pick favorites but some are more compatible with me than others. We had a special bond, he chose me as his person as he wasn't a fan of humans as a whole and really wanted nothing to do with them. My heart aches without him, he was such a huge part of my life. I would visit him every night before bed and he would lean on me and wrap his head around me when I hugged him giving me a hug back, he was the first to greet me no matter what. When he saw me grab the halters or carrying the truck key he would pace and yell at me in excitement. Now I have an understanding of why he may have been my "slow-poke" goat, and honestly I lived in denial of his packgoating capabilities. He was my goat and I wanted to bring him everywhere but he didn't/couldn't keep up with the rest of us very well. I had no idea.

My best idea thus far is to have some of his ashes made into a piece of glass that I can bring with me on our adventures including thru-hiking the PCT. His body may be gone but his spirit can still hit the trail with us. The rest of his ashes can be set free at his favorite trail that he got to do. The pictures are at the beginning of this thread. 

Thank you for the support you have provided through this ongoing tragedy my herd has/is going through. 
He loved the powdered donuts.

[img][Image: 36122155105_d08e41f5f4_b.jpg]IMG_20170709_123656 by Kataya Uren, on Flickr[/img]
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
Oh no... Poor guy. Such a striking looking goat too. I know what you mean about the goat thats special. I have one that calls back if I say her name and curls her neck around me when we greet. Heart-warmingly loyal. Some hurt more to lose than others. I feel bad about it all. Nothing could be done I guess-- All the right choices were made, banamine included.

Its funny how goats have as much personality variation as dogs and people. Do sheep? There's something special about goats that most people don't understand unless they've spent time with them.
I'm so sorry about Yukon. You did everything you could--above and beyond really--to try to save him. The most important thing is that he knew you loved him. Poor little guy. Although short, your time with him was a precious gift. Give all your other goats a hug.
My heart goes out to you. You went above and beyond trying to save all of your goats. You did everything you could including giving Yukon a loving goodbye. He will always be on the trail with you in your heart. Hugs.

What caused the severe anemia?
Goatberries Happen!
Loyal is a great word to describe Yukon, he would do anything for me including stand in a creek and let me use him to catch my balance without hesitation. Today Huck is on IV fluids to try and get one of his kidney values down. Fingers crossed, his is elevated but only half as high as Yukon's, however if there is no change in 24 hours it's likely the damage has been done, and is not reversible. I hope it's not the case or he will join his brother Yukon too soon. There are a few themes in the bloodwork I got on everybody yesterday. Yukon, Huck, and Kivu have elevated BUN a kidney value. The main difference between the boys and Kivu is that Kivu got a single dose of banamine, after talking to the vet again today to come up with a plan for Huck the information presented suggest that what ever this virus or disease process may have taken a tole on their kidneys to start with. The other common thing between the 4 sick goats is that they all became acutely anemic and we aren't really sure why. Based on low eosinophils and being dewormed effectively in May parasites are not likely. For Yukon they think his body started to attack itself and destroyed his own cells due to extremely low Hgb, Hct, PCV. Just to be thorough, I'm sending a fecal out on Yukon, and no other results are back yet. 

Huck is now in the spotlight hooked up to my makeshift IV fluid stand. His hay is actually very green not white, its the filter. Posting on here about the tragedy I'm facing has been extremely therapeutic and I think in the future will help me carry on and remember what it took to reach my goal. I hope that some day it can be helpful or inspirational to someone who needs it.
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
So very sorry that you had to put Yukon to rest.   My heart hurts for you, & you're in my thoughts & prayers as you mourn your special buddy.   

When I lost my "Moses" a couple of years ago, a friend of mine worked his hide & braided me a beautiful rawhide band that I wear all the time.  It still makes me smile when I think of the fun times we had in our short journey together, & it helped a lot when the pain was new & raw in my heart. 

I hope that you find a way to keep some part of him with you, but you will always have your memories of time shared.   
Heart

My "Moses" bracelet:

Have a nice day, & hug your goats often!   Heart

https://www.instagram.com/eugene.m.stoner.the.goat/ 
That bracelet is really cool. I did snip off his tuft of fur from the end of his tail. My friend also made me a clay hoofprint. Thank you for sharing MosesBrowning
You're right... sharing these experiences IS therapeutic, and also very helpful for future reference. Thank you for being willing to put all this information out here even though it is emotional and difficult.

I'm so glad you go the cast of Yukon's hoofprint. I took a cast of Cuzco's hoofprint several years ago and used it to make a stamp from rubberized modeling clay. I like to use it on thank-you's and greeting cards to my friends in the goat world.

I don't know if you've told the breeder what happened, but she would probably want to know. Since it sounds like there is a congenital problem, she may want to review her worming, feed, minerals, and goat housing. If there is any chance that this is genetic, she'll want to have her doe and buck checked out for lung and kidney issues.

@MosesBrowning: The rawhide bracelet is really cool!
(07-10-2017, 06:35 PM)GoldenTreePackGoats Wrote: That bracelet is really cool. I did snip off his tuft of fur from the end of his tail. My friend also made me a clay hoofprint. Thank you for sharing MosesBrowning

Those are great ideas too.   Your Yukon was a cute little guy for sure.  So sad that you lost him so young.  I hope your other ones heal & recover fully.   <3
Have a nice day, & hug your goats often!   Heart

https://www.instagram.com/eugene.m.stoner.the.goat/ 
(07-10-2017, 08:01 PM)Nanno Wrote: You're right... sharing these experiences IS therapeutic, and also very helpful for future reference. Thank you for being willing to put all this information out here even though it is emotional and difficult.

I'm so glad you go the cast of Yukon's hoofprint. I took a cast of Cuzco's hoofprint several years ago and used it to make a stamp from rubberized modeling clay. I like to use it on thank-you's and greeting cards to my friends in the goat world.

I don't know if you've told the breeder what happened, but she would probably want to know. Since it sounds like there is a congenital problem, she may want to review her worming, feed, minerals, and goat housing. If there is any chance that this is genetic, she'll want to have her doe and buck checked out for lung and kidney issues.

@MosesBrowning: The rawhide bracelet is really cool!

I might have to copy the hoof stamp idea, that's great thinkin!
I haven't talked to the breeder directly yet, she's been following Huck, and Yukon on my facebook, she was really excited about their home and being pack goat prospects. I kind of feel it would be better if I have the big picture to present to her instead of reaching out with bits and pieces as they come. But when this is over I feel it is right to give her the information the vets have given me about possible genetic conditions. The lung fibrosis is likely caused from parasites per vet number 2 and 6.