Mystery-Virus/Rickettsial Infection/Deficiencies?
Well damn. Thats pretty troubling and proof that even isolated goats can get ebola. People think I have too many goats but I'm aware I could have any of them get sick or injured, die or retire at any time so I keep a rotation growing. No regrets getting my 5th packer baby this month.

I really hope your goats both recover... I hate losing them because I think about all the good times they'll miss out on. I've only lost a couple so far.
I really hope you get a definitive diagnosis soon! In the meantime you seem to be doing everything possible and you seem to be a very strong person in the face of a crisis. Sending long distance hugs and best wishes for a full recovery for your goats.
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
(07-06-2017, 02:33 PM)Nanno Wrote: It just struck me that Yukon and Huck are brothers but Pluto is unrelated, right? Pluto was on that same pack trip in the same truck with the other two but didn't get sick. Are the two girls also sisters to each other? Are they possibly related to Huck and Yukon through the sire? I just wonder if this is somehow genetically linked.

Yukon, Huck, and Denali are triplets, Denali is remaining a healthy, happy goat thus far. Kivuli, and Echo are twins. Their lineage doesn't cross as far as I can see. Pluto was in the same truck and overnight trip so he had 100% exposure from the beginning and still isn't showing signs of illness. My best guess is a difference in immune systems, and/or different response to stress. Huck and Yukon's fever was FAR worst than the does, keeping them below 105 even with the highest safe dose of banamine every 6 hours IV was switching back and forth, and hosing them down, all night and day long.

In the future I will have to look for some more pack prospects but for now I'm going to give these guys all I can.

When I think of losing them, I too think of all the cool stuff they'll miss out on.
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
I hope your boys are doing better this morning and the fevers are down. I'm glad the girls are recovering.

Is Pluto a LaMancha cross and the others purebred Alpines? I'm still a bit intrigued that the two brothers got hit hard while Pluto didn't. Yukon was the "slow poke" if I remember right, and now the vet says he's had some underlying lung issue all along. It really makes one wonder.

Good on you for giving your goats every chance. They could surprise you with a complete recovery. If my old goat Cuzco taught me anything, it's that goats can survive incredible things and live for years to tell about it. If they have the spirit for it, your boys may well be packers yet.
Everyone's fever has resolved, the girls are starting to get feisty again. Huck is more bright, still dumpy when it comes to exerting himself at all, and avoids conflict at all cost. I have a 2 by 6 board out there on the ground and he always likes to stand on it, today is the first day he has done so since he became sick!

Yukon however hasn't picked up as much if any. I'm still giving him all the treatments, and love I can. I'm going to take him out and do a more thorough neurologic assessment today since when he's alone all he does is lay and fall when he gets up. He's trying really hard to maintain his position above Denali and Echo, but the most he can do is flick his head towards them. It occurred to me last night that the small weave hay nets I use to feed everyone might be too much for Yukon to do since his lips and mouth are in slow motion right now and he doesn't have the energy or coordination to stand for long. I spread a half a bale of hay across the stall to best eliminate fighting and Yukon started eating while lying right away.

Pluto = 50/50 lamancha boer
Yukon, Huck, Denali = 25/75 lamancha alpine
Echo, Kivu = 100 alpine

Pluto's lamancha dam and Yukon/Huck/Denali lamancha dam are unrelated.

Yes Yukon was the slow poke. When I think about it, it starts to make sense, when he's on a lead he drags because he knows he won't be left behind. When he's off a lead, he stops to eat a lot and runs to catch up, and then starts to mumble when he's tired and complaining. I reached out to DVM number 1 about the potentially pre-existing lung disease and he described parasites crossing the placenta, moving through liver, kidneys, and into lungs. Often goats have scarred lung tissue due to this but often only goats that exert themselves like pack goats will show symptoms. He said he heard it in Yukon the most, and Huck slightly, Denali has more air moving through her lungs but not as much as my other yearlings. And the 4th sibling of Huck, Yukon, and Denali died at birth. So I wonder if there is something to the information he gave me. Pluto came from the same farm but obviously different dam/sire so it could be a genetic thing too.

It doesn't make sense that Pluto didn't get ill, nor does it make sense that Rafiki didn't get ill since he's a tiny guy with a little immune system. I hope to get answers through the virus panel.

The only place of exposure to similar species would have been our PCT trip at the beginning of this thread but Pluto was there to. I only mention it because the trail was riddled with deer, and elk feces, and fur on the dead wood. Fish and wildlife doesn't no of any viral incidences happening with the wild population at this time except the hoof disease in southern WA.

On day 8, the mystery continues...
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
Man I'm worried about that goat Yukon! Give him some gatorade for sure, and powdered donuts.
Update: Huck is nearly normal as well as the ladies. The test results aren't back yet. 

I can see a glimmer of life in his eye but Yukon is still falling down and moving in slow motion. His progress is so slow, I'm afraid to say whether he's the same or on an upswing but I know he's not worse. He's in rough shape but quietly mahs when I go far and he can't keep up. He leans on my at night and when I hug him he wraps his head and neck around me. 

Out of the goats I've had/have I have a uniquely special bond with Yukon. I'm his person and he's my goat.
Thanks for posting. I check several times per day.
So sad that you & your goat buddies are going through this. I am praying for their recovery, & for your strength, since taking care of sick animals can be exhausting & mentally draining.
Have a nice day, & hug your goats often!   Heart

https://www.instagram.com/eugene.m.stoner.the.goat/ 
I'm with Charlie Horse. I'm always waiting with baited breath for the latest update. I'm so glad everyone pulled through, but I'm sorry about the lasting effects on Yukon. Poor little guy! I'm glad he still knows you and that you're a comfort to him. He's sad and confused right now but you're his anchor. If he can learn to walk again he may be ok. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.