Hey, fellow goat packers, let's do this!
http://mikeraether.com/2017/05/24/lets-do-this/
That actually sounds fun. Having a goal as part of the hiking hobby is a good idea. Of course I cant participate since I live in the wild and wooly West. I wish that I did have more hiking oriented friends, though. Seems like they're all too old, out of shape, or uninterested in getting wild and wooly and western dirt on them.
(06-05-2017, 05:25 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: That actually sounds fun.  Having a goal as part of the hiking hobby is a good idea.   Of course I cant participate since I live in the wild and wooly West.  I wish that I did have more hiking oriented friends, though.  Seems like they're all too old, out of shape, or uninterested in getting wild and wooly and western dirt on them.

Old + out of shape = pack goat. As far as western dirt is concerned, dirt happens.
Darned ranch responsibilities. That sounds REALLY fun. If your travels/work bring you closer to central Montana, I can usually get away for the occasional day hike.
Have a nice day, & hug your goats often!   Heart

https://www.instagram.com/eugene.m.stoner.the.goat/ 
(06-12-2017, 04:39 PM)MosesBrowning Wrote: Darned ranch responsibilities.  That sounds REALLY fun.  If your travels/work bring you closer to central Montana, I can usually get away for the occasional day hike.

About 15  years ago I lived in Zortman, so I know your area pretty well especially the CMR. For the sake of the book, I need to stay on this side of the divide. Last week I was up in the Yaak area, next week I'll be in the Seeley/Swan Sunday-Wenesday. Have two day hikes planned: one to Clearwater Lake, the other to Lake Dinah.
(06-16-2017, 04:57 PM)Montana Mike Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 04:39 PM)MosesBrowning Wrote: Darned ranch responsibilities.  That sounds REALLY fun.  If your travels/work bring you closer to central Montana, I can usually get away for the occasional day hike.

About 15  years ago I lived in Zortman, so I know your area pretty well especially the CMR. For the sake of the book, I need to stay on this side of the divide. Last week I was up in the Yaak area, next week I'll be in the Seeley/Swan Sunday-Wenesday. Have two day hikes planned: one to Clearwater Lake, the other to Lake Dinah.

Small world!  I lived close to there for a few years &  know that area (Zortman, CMR, Missouri breaks to Winifred) pretty well too.  Very nice area, especially if you like seeing wildlife.  =)

How were your hikes to Clearwater & Dinah?
Have a nice day, & hug your goats often!   Heart

https://www.instagram.com/eugene.m.stoner.the.goat/ 
(06-23-2017, 11:18 AM)MosesBrowning Wrote:
(06-16-2017, 04:57 PM)Montana Mike Wrote:

Small world!  I lived close to there for a few years &  know that area (Zortman, CMR, Missouri breaks to Winifred) pretty well too.  Very nice area, especially if you like seeing wildlife.  =)

How were your hikes to Clearwater & Dinah?
Please forgive me for taking so long to get back to you. Darn hiking responsibilities! 

Dinah was a blowout, too much snow. Clearwater was awesome, easy hike, wonderfully scenic, and the nesting loons were a big bonus. No trout, though, although I could see them swimming around - and laughing at me. I hate it when fish laugh at me. The most excitement I had at Clearwater was when the dog fell out of the boat. But I discovered that a poodle's tail makes a great handle to drag it back aboard. 

Last week I hiked in to Jim Lake, the first lake you come to before entering the Jim Lakes Basin in the Mission Mountains Wilderness. Fishing was great, and I had the place all to myself. I had planned to visit more lakes within the wilderness, but as I was by myself and no cell phone contact (and no trails; strictly an overland situation) I decided to hold off until I can get some company. I gotta go back, though: there's about 20 lakes within the Jim Lakes Basin, and I doubt if some of them have been visited in years. I ain't afraid of no griz, but twisting an ankle far from home didn't sound like a happy time. I always let someone know where I'm going, but in this case it would've been days before I was missed and rescued. 

Next week I'm staying close to home, taking a group into Trail Lake for an overnight. Trail is a brookie lake, and contains the nicest brookies I've seen in this area. Last time I was there I intercepted a mayfly hatch, and the catching was phenomenal.