Scaly, scabby scrotum
Our buckling, Rambo has had this skin condition on his scrotum which I wonder if anyone else has dealt with. He's had it since probably sometime in November and it didn't look too bad for a long time so I was hoping it would go away by itself. For a long time it just looked like the bottom tips of his testicles were bald, but sometime in December it began to spread pretty rapidly upward, the skin became thick and crusty, and the hair began to clump together and fall off. I treated him twice already with Ivermectin (he'll get a third dose next week) in case it's some kind of parasite. I even put Ivermectin directly on the skin last month but it didn't seem to do any good. I ordered in some Nu-Stock sulfur ointment last week and have been applying that. It seems to be helping because the skin appears to be softening again and I don't see any new scabby areas appearing. The hair has not started growing back yet. But while I seem to have it under control now I'm curious what it is and whether anyone else's bucks have had something similar. About two weeks ago the tips of Rocky's testicles suddenly went bald so I wormed him and applied Nu-Stock right away. He's got some hair growth back already but I'm still feeling a few little scabby things under it. Any ideas?
What's his bedding made of Nanno?
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Oat straw. Recently I added pine shavings under the straw to help protect the ground, but the scabbiness started before then. Neither by boys nor any of the other goats have any sort of skin affliction anywhere else on their bodies.
Clean the area. Spray with bluecote or iodine and spread some zinc paste on em.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
I think the Nu-Stock is already working pretty well, but do you know what it is Dave?
(01-21-2017, 06:52 PM)Nanno Wrote: I think the Nu-Stock is already working pretty well, but do you know what it is Dave?

Never used it. Whats in it?

Nu-Stock is one of those older remedies for a wide range of skin ailments. It contains sulfur, mineral oil, and pine oil. It seems to be working pretty well so far. No more scabs anyway. Hopefully the hair starts growing back soon. 

But I wasn't asking what's in the Nu-Stock. I was asking if you've had experience with scabby scrotums and if you knew what causes it. I'd like to know more about what I'm treating and what I might do to prevent it in future. 

For now we're just calling it crotch coral.
Buwahahahaaha!!!! - has Dave had any experience with scabby scrotums????? ...Thanks for making me giggle after a crap day at work Smile
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Ya, that question is a little personal dont you think Nanno? Smile

I meant on your GOATS, Dave, on your GOATS! Tongue