2017 NAPgA Rendezvous in Lake City, CO - June 15-18
By the way, if anyone managed to record Clay's talk I'd love for you to upload it somewhere and post us a link here.
Hi Nanno, I think Marc Warnke might have recorded it?
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
No, I already asked. He missed that one as well. Sad
Saturday, June 17 - Rendy Day 3: The work project

Saturday morning we loaded up workers, goats, and tools into as few vehicles as possible to head to our work project on the Alpine Gulch Trail, which was about 2.5 miles from our campsite. As it was a short trip, we loaded a dog, four or five goats, and as many people into the bed of our pickup for the journey. I'm not sure it was very comfortable, but it was certainly comical! Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the whole clown car and I'm hoping someone else will produce one.

Get me out of this madhouse!

Marc Warnke's goats looked like prisoners on their way to the chain gang. 

At the trailhead, we loaded bow saws, crosscut saws, and axes on our packsaddles. I left Finn's panniers empty because I was told we would be hauling rocks.  

Near the trailhead sign, a series of railroad tie stairs had been transformed into a sliding gravel rock ramp, which Jordan spent half the morning digging out with a shovel. 

This was the only intact bridge on the trail. 

Marc Warnke's goats and mine loaded up rocks from a mine tailing dump near one section of trail and hauled them a short distance to spot where the creek had burst its banks and was running down the trail itself. We rerouted the water from the creek and used the rock to rebuild a 40-foot section of trail that had become a muddy ditch. Since it wasn't far or steep, our goats hauled about 70 lbs. of rock per load. We also used cut branches to block off the alternate route people had created to avoid the muddy ditch.   

After this, our crew used trees to build new water crossings where the previous bridges had been washed away. Since we built these new bridges at high water, there is hope that they will last for a few seasons. Our goats were not so sure about crossing these narrow log bridges, but Finn was the bold one and led the way. Sputnik doesn't like log bridges, but since he doesn't mind getting wet he plunged right into the creek and crossed without a fuss. Good boys! 

I wish I had photos of our finished work, but once again I'm going to have to wait and see if anyone else posts. It was a really fun project and I think we did a really good job. The work was much-needed and much-appreciated by the BLM. And I have to hand it to Jim and Eric from the BLM. They worked with us that day to facilitate the project and really set us up to succeed. 

After the work crew got back to camp, we had an equipment "show and tell" time where various equipment makers were able to show off their products. Marc Warnke and Matt Lyon showed off their prototype packsaddle system and new pannier design. Charlie Jennings is continuing  the "tried and true" Wind River pack system designed and used by John Mionczynski. And Charlie Hackbarth of Sopris Unlimited demonstrated his unique soft tree saddle design. All told, it was a very informative session and there was a range of choices offered for different use cases and personal preferences.

Saturday night's campfire was exciting as Phil played auctioneer to sell off the last of the store items. Phil is often perceived as being shy, quiet, and somewhat serious so he really surprised people with his auctioneer style! There were so many generous donations this year that our crowd was running out of money, but they still opened their wallets and made sure every last item was bought. Some folks got some really nice deals, but everything sold for at least its reserve price. 

After the auction, John Mionczynski told stories and relayed his experiences working with Bighorns in Wyoming. Folks sat up listening to him until around midnight. It was a very full day!
It was so much fun & so informative! Thanks to everyone who organized it, especially "Nanno" & Phil, & all the speakers who had so much to share with us. I'm so grateful to you all.

It was great to meet people from all over the country (& Australia) from so many different walks of life, who are all passionate about goats & packing.

I'll get my pictures uploaded & shared soon.
Have a nice day, & hug your goats often!   Heart

https://www.instagram.com/eugene.m.stoner.the.goat/ 
It was great meeting you too! I met so many cool people but didn't have enough time to really "hang out" with hardly any of them. That's the down-side to being in charge I guess. Next year someone else can take charge and I'll just sit back and enjoy the company. Smile

Can't wait to see your photos! I still have to post photos from our Uncompahgre hike. I've been too busy lately and there are way too many good photos to sort through!
It's hard for me to pick a single favorite part of the Rendezvous, but the climb up Uncompahgre Peak on Sunday would be a top contender. Only seven of us stuck around for the hike--Phil and I, Kate from Australia, my friend Jordan from Rye, Herb (Charlie Horse on these forums), and Irene and Carl. Between us we had nine goats, two of them young kids. 

Herb's "Vincent van Goat" poses regally in front of our goal: 14,320-foot Uncompahgre Peak. 

Herb purchased a baby goat, who we called "Dude", the day before the Uncompahgre hike. Dude didn't have a single friend or family member he knew on this hike, so he made friends with everyone. Despite being "thrown in at the deep end" so to speak, Dude did awesome and never lagged or complained despite feeling a bit lost the whole time. Here he is, snuggling up to Carl.  

There were quite a few beautiful little wildflowers along the way. 

The cell service was great. Some of the best in the Lake City area!

We had to cross a lot of snow in the basin below the peak. It was soft, deep, and heavy and presented a real challenge for the big goats--especially the ones carrying packs. Goat toes are great on rocks, but terrible in snow. They sink straight down and can get no purchase so they wallow as if in quicksand. We felt bad for them so we tried to avoid snow as much as possible, but often there was no way around and we simply had to help and encourage them as best we could.  

Herb: Uncompahgre Conqueror 

As we got higher we began to appreciate how much snow was still left on the San Juan mountain range all around us. My girl Tigerlily did incredibly well. She'd lost a kid and retained the placenta two weeks before we left for Lake City, and then she came down with mastitis and was on heavy antibiotics for both of those things. She was depressed from the loss of her baby and feeling yucky because of the sickness and medications. I brought her with us not only so I could monitor her health but also because I felt that the change of scenery would do her heart good. It really did. She bounced back quickly and conquered this mountain like it was nothing. Her quick movements and graceful agility in precarious, rocky places make her a delight to watch. She takes after her daddy, Finn.  

Speaking of Finn... This goat really knows how to strike a pose!

Finn and his best pal, Phil.

Goats look so at home on this type of landscape. 

The stragglers nearing the top...

And we reach the summit! Kate was especially expressive. She trained hard for this hike and was determined to reach the top. Kate and a couple of others in our party battled a certain amount of altitude sickness, but everyone made it in the end. It was so worth it!  

Phil and I with Finn and Sputnik at the summit. 

Jordan, Carl, and I share a laugh. What was so funny? Or are we all just glad to be at the top?  

Finn showed off along the cliffside just like he did when we hiked this mountain last fall. 

Like father like daughter. 

Please don't jump, girl! Tigerlily and Finn both gave me heart palpitations as they cavorted as close to the edge as possible. 

My goat, Sputnik, is more sensible. He preferred to spend his time resting up a safe distance from the precipice. 

There is a 360-degree view from the top. Tigerlily wanted a peek through the binoculars. 

Eventually even Finn took time out for a rest before we headed back down. 

The desecent...

Just me and my three. 

My faithful companion, Sputnik. He's turned into a good, sensible packgoat. He's not particularly athletic, but he gets the job done and he doesn't shirk or complain. He also blends in perfectly with these rocks, so it's a good thing I use red packs! 

I had charge of Sputnik and Tigerlily for the somewhat treacherous boulder descent. I tied her to Sputnik's saddle because she kept chasing and trying to smack little Dude. Sputnik was steady. He kept Tigerlily in line without power tripping over it.  

And then there's Finn. Finn is flashy, athletic, and a major go-getter, but unfortunately he knows it and he has an alarming tendency to show off in dangerous places. Take this precipice as an example. 

This pinacle was near the bottom of a steep boulder field which we had to scoot down on our bottoms. We had to go one at a time and keep our goats close to avoid rolling rocks down on each other. Phil and Finn reached the bottom and Phil let go of Finn to let him find his own way down for the last bit. Instead, Finn took a detour so he could pose regally on this rock outcropping. Then he wouldn't come down! I suppose he wanted everyone to take as many photos as possible. He stood there a long time while Kate scooted down the boulder slide behind him. Apparently Finn was so busy posing and taking in the view that he didn't notice Kate until she was right behind him. He caught sight of the legless Kate-monster slithering down the slope behind him, panicked, and instantly took flight--literally. He sailed off the front of the outcropping, which is a sheer drop of about fifteen feet onto a very steep scree and boulder slide. Between the size of the drop, the steepness of the landing, and the weight of his packs, Finn's hind end very nearly overtook his front end and he came terrifyingly close to somersaulting head-over-heels down the mountainside. Yet somehow Finn landed the leap without flipping or catching a foot between any boulders. He skipped on down the trail like it was nothing, but I'm pretty sure I have more gray hairs now than I did before that hike!      

"Yeah, Finn. You're awesome until you're not, buddy. Please don't kill yourself trying to demonstrate how cool you are!"