REALLY?!?!?!?!?
http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/opinion/co...35835.html
Goatberries Happen!
Go figure. What a mess. It just keeps growing and growing.
I wish the government would stop meddling in everything. If they hadn't introduced mountain goats in the first place this wouldn't be a problem. But it's not like we really know the true "historical range" of all these animals either. Europeans came to the west less than three hundred years ago. And then of course we introduced a lot of non-native species, including horses and cattle. Feral horses are now being protected in much of the west even though they are not remotely native.
I fully agree with your comments Nanno. I forwarded this link to my goat vet. He was drawn and got a mountain goat last year. I thought his reply to the article pretty much summed up my feelings, too.

"How stupid. Journals from mountain men, in that area, I have read have accounts of goats. Yes, their population needs to be managed because they appear more resilient than the bighorns. This is just one more example of a group catering to and babying the bighorns, as they are the pinnacle of wildlife biology, naive wildlife watchers/photography, and big game hunting. All species need to be managed for conservation based on habitat/ecosytem avaliabilty. With the consideration of all species together including human interactions in the habitat. Most wildlife organizations such as, but not limited to, RMEF, mule deer foundation, goat alliance, DU, etc are very good about conservation for all adjacent species while focusing on their speciality with the exception of the power hungry, excessively money driven wild sheep foundation. They want sheep on the mountain irregardless of anything or anybody else. My 2 cents. Even though I enjoy sheep and would like to hunt them. "
Goatberries Happen!
Maybe its just time to let the sheep die off or get stronger. You know. Kinda like how all things have progressed since the beginning of time...
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)