Veggies and Fruit for goats
Didn't research the other forum, too packed. But I will be planting a garden in spring and I buy a lot of veggies and fruits, carrots, broccoli and potatoes etc. . .Wondering what goats-done with bottle feed- can munch on? Regularly too? Can they eat most vegetables or fruit? Any info., again, much appreciated.
My Ober boys like most all greens beets, spinach, kale, and lettuces. They eat all parts of the plants of peas, beans, edamame, carrots, corn, and broccoli. They like cucumbers, zucchini and pumpkins but do like to eat the plants. They don't like tomatoes or the plant. My boys like onions, dill, basil and other Italian herbs. Apples and pears they like, I feed mine plums but you have to take the pits out.
(02-10-2016, 04:54 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: My Ober boys like most all greens beets, spinach, kale, and lettuces.  They eat all parts of the plants of peas, beans, edamame, carrots, corn, and broccoli. They like cucumbers, zucchini and pumpkins but do like to eat the plants. They don't like tomatoes or the plant. My boys like onions, dill, basil and other Italian herbs. Apples and pears they like, I feed mine plums but you have to take the pits out.
Awesome. So basically they can eat like most herbivores. Like my dog I shall feed them what I eat as I eat pretty organically. No cookies and junk food. I am honestly on food assistance and will spend most of it on some goat food for what a garden cannot put out.
Hello Wordman
I too am on a 'Limited" food budget.
If you are close to a metro area as I am.
I hit the grocery stores and pick up the "Trimmings" from the Produce Department.
Cabbage Leaves, Carrot tops,Beet Tops, ETC.
When in season Sweet Corn Husk that people "Shuck" and drop in a trash barrel.
As long as the "Greens" are not spoiled goats will eat them with relish.
My horses LOVE Sweet Corn Husk and in many cases people that pull a good chunk of husk off a ear of corn and don't like the "LOOK" throw the whole ear in the trash next to the sweet corn display.  I have come away several times with enough sweet corn to cook up for a good meal. As well as a couple bushels of fresh husks to feed the horses.
NOTE: All of the above you need to feed and portion out ASAP because of spoilage.
But your critters will love it and if you play your cards right it is "FREE" feed.
Best Goat food is weeds and underbrush unless you are milking.
In my case here the boys have lots of underbrush even in the winter to chew on and get a couple small cans of Alpha pellets a couple times a day. They do stick around BC1 with no fence up and come running when called in. Of course there is a treat for them when they respond.
Goats are easy and "Smart" enough to be bribed to do just about anything. Smile
Happy Trails
hihobaron Pete and Sam
Again thanks for info. I dumpster dive too so get lots that way!
Can my Nigerian goats gave uncooked acorn squash
If they like it I don't see why not. My goats love pumpkins.
My son's Boer goats love any kind of squash! My goats love pumpkins but turn their noses up at most squash. I think I spoil them too much!
Goatberries Happen!