Pack Goat Central
Panniers for Hunters - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Goats on the Trail (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Hunter's Lodge (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Panniers for Hunters (/showthread.php?tid=2019)

Pages: 1 2

Panniers for Hunters - Marc - 01-15-2017

Hey guys and gals, I worked very hard to make a pannier specific to our needs as hunters.  Let me know what you think and if you have any input.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBlCvvKVzyE

RE: Panniers for Hunters - Charlie Horse - 01-15-2017

Ooooh. Now thats neat. I'm going to go for a set soon. I'm not a hunter, but here's what I like about your design:

The size scalability. Specifically the fact that they can be compacted for smaller heavier loads. Honestly I'm not sure I'd ever need the full space in those things with a goat unless I was hauling styrofoam peanuts. They'd work well filled up high on a yak, though. I do have a heavy winter "Wiggy's Hunter XL" sleeping bag for cold weather that is almost too big to fit into my Acid Rain panniers, so the expanding size would be perfect for that. The full-collapse mode is quite intriguing too. I see why hunters would like that (go in empty, come out full), but even for hikers, its a great idea to have spare capacity. Also if your hiking buddy falls off of a cliff, you can carry them back to the trail head (in multiple pieces of course!).

I like the roll top. Way more waterproof than my zippered panniers. Specifically in the event of a river crossing, I'm worried about the zippers that go all the way down my Acid Rain panniers.

I like the seamless sides. Not as fancy looking but I understand why its such a good idea.

Your mention of the super strong buckles-- Big deal. I've had enough buckles fail that I bought some expensive ones for the important parts and also ordered a whole bag of spares. Having excellent buckles is a big big plus and for sure worth mentioning.

If those weighing loops are strong enough, they'd also be great for raising them up in the branches to keep bears away. Nice. Any pannier can be raised, but having the hooks placed so that it doesn't tip is common sense.

Price seems in line with what I'd expect.

You know, I think I'll get some bucket-holding panniers eventually too. I want to do some trail clean-up and get in the papers and make the local forest service love me so that we get more people on our side. Having garbage bins full of trash to show is great publicity.

RE: Panniers for Hunters - Nanno - 01-15-2017

Nice panniers! I might have to buy a set eventually. Do they come in red? I love how they cinch up for smaller loads. We've only packed youngsters since old Cuzco retired, so we've been keeping our loads quite small and things sure slide around a lot in those big panniers. I don't like how low the load sits when you only have a small amount of gear in a large pannier, and your design solves that problem nicely.

Is there a link where folks can buy them, or are they still in the production phase?

RE: Panniers for Hunters - Marc - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 08:13 AM)Marc Wrote: Hey guys and gals, I worked very hard to make a pannier specific to our needs as hunters.  Let me know what you think and if you have any input.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBlCvvKVzyE

here is a link where you can get them. https://gothunts.com/shop/pack-goat-panniers/

(01-15-2017, 03:02 PM)Nanno Wrote: Nice panniers! I might have to buy a set eventually. Do they come in red? I love how they cinch up for smaller loads. We've only packed youngsters since old Cuzco retired, so we've been keeping our loads quite small and things sure slide around a lot in those big panniers. I don't like how low the load sits when you only have a small amount of gear in a large pannier, and your design solves that problem nicely.

Is there a link where folks can buy them, or are they still in the production phase?

Sure you bet. Here you go. https://gothunts.com/shop/pack-goat-panniers/

(01-15-2017, 11:12 AM)TCharlie Horse Wrote: Ooooh.  Now thats neat.  I'm going to go for a set soon.  I'm not a hunter, but here's what I like about your design:

The size scalability.  Specifically the fact that they can be compacted for smaller heavier loads.  Honestly I'm not sure I'd ever need the full space in those things with a goat unless I was hauling styrofoam peanuts.  They'd work well filled up high on a yak, though.  I do have a heavy winter "Wiggy's Hunter XL" sleeping bag for cold weather that is almost too big to fit into my Acid Rain panniers, so the expanding size would be perfect for that.  The full-collapse mode is quite intriguing too.  I see why hunters would like that (go in empty, come out full), but even for hikers, its a great idea to have spare capacity.  Also if your hiking buddy falls off of a cliff, you can carry them back to the trail head (in multiple pieces of course!).

I like the roll top.  Way more waterproof than my zippered panniers.  Specifically in the event of a river crossing, I'm worried about the zippers that go all the way down my Acid Rain panniers.  

I like the seamless sides.  Not as fancy looking but I understand why its such a good idea.

Your mention of the super strong buckles-- Big deal.  I've had enough buckles fail that I bought some expensive ones for the important parts and also ordered a whole bag of spares.  Having excellent buckles is a big big plus and for sure worth mentioning.

If those weighing loops are strong enough, they'd also be great for raising them up in the branches to keep bears away.  Nice.  Any pannier can be raised, but having the hooks placed so that it doesn't tip is common sense.

Price seems in line with what I'd expect.  

You know, I think I'll get some bucket-holding panniers eventually too.  I want to do some trail clean-up and get in the papers and make the local forest service love me so that we get more people on our side.  Having garbage bins full of trash to show is great publicity.

What a great run down. Thanks.

RE: Panniers for Hunters - Duck-Slayer - 02-02-2017

Pretty slick Marc, great job! I will have too start saving some $$$, does that price on your site include that awesome cover?
Matt

RE: Panniers for Hunters - Marc - 02-02-2017

(02-02-2017, 09:52 AM)Duck-Slayer Wrote: Pretty slick Marc, great job! I will have too start saving some $$$, does that price on your site include that awesome cover?
Matt

It sure does and thanks.

RE: Panniers for Hunters - Mallardsx2 - 02-02-2017

NICE PRODUCT. I watch your videos all the time. Keep them coming!

RE: Panniers for Hunters - Charlie Horse - 05-21-2017

Ok I just purchased a "Hunter Package" in cammo. I also bought a NorthWest pocket pad for my aluminum saddle. Pack goats arent always so cheap if you go with the good stuff but at least it keeps me out of the bars. I cant wait to try these-- I mean my goats can't wait to try these! I'm thinking Woodstock will be the lucky one. He can graduate his usually empty no-name panniers and join the big boys. Vincent VanGoat can start carrying the empty set from now on. Vincent is so big at 2 though that in a couple years he may get his own set of giant panniers!